Chapter 3: The Ritual

Chapter 3

The day was finally upon us.

Saturday.

The day of The Ritual to The Beast, also known as the day I might be sacrificed.

Whether I was taken or not was solely up to the eerie and mysterious Beast.

I hadn't seen Jake since the day I left him in the woods. The day I also met the stranger in the woods. I hadn't been able to get Jake's actions out of my head. He seriously wanted to cut my hand open and implant a chip for his stupid infatuation with the beast. I have known him for as long as I can remember and trusted him with my life and he just turned out to be a total lunatic. I liked him a lot but after that night, I wasn't so sure again.

Jake's memory had me sulking but what lightened my mood was the memory of the greek god of a stranger. He was one handsome hunter. I guessed he must have been from some other town not to far away because if he was from this town I would've remembered that face.

But what I couldn't quite figure out was why he said, 'Soon darling. Very soon' , when I asked him for his name.

What the hell was that supposed to mean? Was he going be there for the festival or was he going to be in town soon? His answer was very vague and confusing. But all I knew was that I wanted to see him again. When he went back into the forest, I felt like a three year old whose Christmas present was taken away on Christmas morning. I didn't know a single thing about him yet I felt this way.

The lunar eclipse tonight must really be messing with my head.

The ritual was set to start at midnight as always. I have never been to one of the rituals to actually see what happens as no one was supposed to be outside that time and the last one took place before I was born. The only persons allowed outside were the elders that made sure every girl arrived on time and that everything before midnight, ran smoothly. But before the ritual began they had to leave the area and go back to their homes.

The elders was a group made up centuries ago when the ritual was started. It consisted of a board of members who were usually the respected senior citizens of Fairbairn. When they past, their children usually took their place. But whatever they knew was always kept tight knit and their lips were always sealed.

Parents of the girls were permitted to drop their daughters off and say their last good bye but again had to leave the area before the ritual began. The only real persons allowed to stay were the girls and a few guards around town who were hired by the elders to keep the hunters away.

Jake was of age and apart of the top hunting family so he was probably going to try to be out tonight after curfew. The hunters also made sure that all girls are present to the ritual so they wouldn't lose their chance of finding this beast.

You may think I'm crazy for saying this but I hope Jake will be fine. He may have wanted to implant a chip in me but I know he is a good guy deep inside. Really, really far deep inside.

Everybody else is supposed to stay locked in their homes and never sneak a peek outside. Everyone complied easily as they were afraid of the Beast.

My entire day was spent with my mom and sister grooming me for the ritual while my father sulked about losing his daughter. But I kept reminding them all that I had a huge chance of not being taken as there were many beautiful girls who were also apart of tonight's ritual.

By eleven o'clock in the night my hair was styled and my make-up was done. My mom gave me the dress she bought for me and left me to change.

I rest her dress aside and pulled out the dress Jane gave me. It was one of the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. If I didn't have to attend this darn ritual I would definitely wear this dress when I got married. But unfortunately I did have to attend so I only hoped the Beast didn't rip me to shreds.