Let's Play a Game (25)

I was so glad that the project I had to work on with Aveline was almost over with. After it was finished, I'd never have to come into contact with her ever again. Of course, I was sure that she'd still harass me every chance she got, but it didn't mean that I had to listen to her.

"So, Maxynn," Aveline sneered at me during the last period of the day. "I heard you were taken to the police station the other day."

I scowled at her. "And where would you have heard that from?"

She smiled back at me wickedly. "My uncle is a cop. He told me that a girl named Maxynn Chase was brought in because they believed she killed her mother. Now, I may be wrong, but that sure sounds a hell of a lot like you."

I was never going to understand why this girl hated me so much. Sure, I had broken her nose, but this had been going on a long time before that. Was it because I was close to Zach, or because my name was even more unique than hers? I didn't think I'd ever know, but I honestly

didn't want to.

"Think what you want," I sighed now, not about to let her get the best of me. "You honestly don't even bother me anymore, Aveline."

She was the one to scowl now. "Well, we'll just see about that. I'll definitely do something that will make you never forget how much I hate you."

I shrugged, relieved when I heard the bell ring to let us free. "Hit me with your best shot. I dare you."

And I got up and walked right out of the classroom, not in the mood to deal with her any longer. She really was the definition of petty and pathetic.

"Are you walking home or do you need a ride?" Zach asked me as he walked by my locker like he almost always did, and I really wasn't in the mood to deal with him right then. I wasn't in the mood to deal with anyone. "I have practice, so you're going to have to stick around if you want a ride."

I sighed, shutting my locker door shut before turning away. "I'll just walk home. I'll see you later."

He seemed to notice that something was off about me, but he said nothing and let me go like I wanted him to. There was no doubt in my mind that he was going to come into my room and talk to me about it later, but that was later. Right then I just wanted to be left alone.

I started on my way home just like I always did, but this time something just didn't feel right. I continued walking like always, but would look over my shoulder every now and then. Something really wasn't right, and it was making my stomach churn at the thought of it...

"Hey, girly, why don't you come with us?" a voice suddenly said, and I turned to see two burly men suddenly standing before me.

"Um, no thank you," I declined politely, picking up my pace so I wouldn't have to deal with them any longer. But when one of them grabbed onto my arm, I knew that it wasn't going to be that easy.

"Well, you see," the other one said now. "It wasn't a suggestion."

I turned to dart away, but was too slow. The other man wrapped his arms around my waist, nearly crushing me to him so I wouldn't get away.

I screamed, flailing and kicking as much as I could to try and get this guy off me. But when his buddy grabbed onto my as well, I knew that there was nothing I could do to fight them off. I was too weak against these two burly guys.

So I used another approach.

"Help!" I shrieked, knowing there was nothing else I could do. "Somebody, please! Someone, help me!"

After a few more moments of struggling, I was almost sure no one was going to show up to save me. I was getting kidnapped, and I wasn't strong enough to fight against my attackers. I had always thought that I was so strong, but I was wrong. I was weak.