06. Heart sigh

Esther was able to get away with help from Queenie. The legilimens insisted she should go after the wizard. She wonders her friend's persistence, knowing she hides her mind readings.

  She knocks on the door of the room the boys are staying in. No response. She opens the door just enough to peek inside. It's empty. She didn't hear any doors, didn't she? She enters the room and casts an enchantment on the lock upon closing it. In case Tina decides to intrude. She scans the area, to ensure the boys are nowhere in the room.  She stumbles on a suitcase on the floor. She opens it.

  At first glance, it looks like an average suitcase. Drawings of creatures are pinned on a siding along with a picture of a woman. Her heart sinks while her eyes digest the picture. Her stomach churns, imagining him involved with someone. Why is that? She looks down ignoring the rest of her findings to a black pit. Cautiously, she climbs down into the case, closing it behind her.

  Going down the ladder, she enters a dimly light shed. It's cluttered with various medicinal and camping gear along with piles of paperwork, tools, and feed. She observes the cramped room, looking for an exit. She hears voices and leans on the door to focus. She sees Newt and Jacob standing in front of a glorious Thunderbird. Newt stood under the rain the bird conjured. Her heart flutters by the sight of her house mascot from her adolescence. She meets up with them, standing by Jacob.

  "What did I miss?" She whispers to the no-maj.

  Startled, he turns to her. He gestures his head towards the beast in as much awe as the witch.

  Newt feels a warmth around him. It's not coming from Frank, the bird he's trying to calm from his guest. He's too focused on the majestic bird to notice the witch entering, although it's her unknown presence he feels.

  "Come on. Come on. Down you come." He eases Frank. The bird slowly calms down and lowering towards Newt. The rain subsides. Shimmering sunlight emerges from the clouds. The wizard replaces his wand with feed. The creature watches intently. He grazes the bird's beak with affection. His love for the bird reverberates throughout the case. She couldn't keep her eyes off the sight. A Thunderbird.

  "Thank Paracelsus. If you'd have gotten out that could have been quite catastrophic." He speaks to the bird. He looks at Jacob, surprised to see Esther has joined him. 'When did she get here? Is it her I felt?' "You see, he's the real reason I came to the states. To bring Frank home." He professes his true intentions.

  Jacob takes a step closer giving in from his wonder. Frank reflexes by flapping his glistening wings that hold a cloud pattern. Esther shields her arm over Jacob, to stop him from inching closer.

  "No, sorry, stay there. He's a wee bit sensitive to strangers. Here you are. Here you are." he says, distracting the bird. His eyes fixate on the bird's large amber eyes. "He was trafficked, you see. I found him in Egypt. He was all chained up. Couldn't leave him there, had to bring him back. I'm going to bring you to the wilds of Arizona." He says with wonder in his eyes. His face is full of hope and has high expectations. He wraps his arms around Frank. When he refrains, he throws feed high in the air for the bird to catch. Frank soars gracefully.  His plumed feathered tail forms a gust of wind beneath him to retrieve his dinner.

  Esther's heart sighs, processing the moments of Newt and her mascot. The feelings he has for Frank and his other creatures overwhelm her, pulling at her heartstrings. Tears created a barrier over her lids. She blinks them away upon noticing Newt stealing a glimpse at her.

  "It's nice to see you've joined us." He greets.

  He makes his way through the case, making various roars and animal calls as he passes, indicating dinner time. He comes back with buckets of feed and passes them one. They follow him. Esther stares, noticing a Doxy, a dark-colored, fairy type creature with multiple limbs, race by them.

  Jacob attempts to bat them away before Esther snaps at him, "Stop that! They live here."

  The wizard roars again in a desert illuminated by moonlight.

  "Here they come." He says under his breath.

  "Here what comes?" She asks.

  With a smile, he replies, "The Graphorns."

  A large smile brightens her face seeing a large creature approach them. The creature has the figure of a saber tooth tiger with slimy tentacles covering its mouth.  With horror, Jacob screams. The wizard pulls him to stay.

The graphorn's attention is on Newt. He caresses it's neck as if greeting it. The beast places it's head on Newt's shoulder while the tentacles fall on his back. The slime from them leaves wet stains on the wizards white button-up.

  "They're the last breeding pair in existence. If I hadn't managed to rescue them, that could have been the end of them." He informs the group.

  The rest of the graphorn family comes forth. The baby rushes to Esther. She happily pets the creature. Jacob watches how gentle they are and reaches for the other parent. He strokes its head, scared, but amazed. Newt observes them with his creatures, glad he let them in.

  "Mr.Scamander, this is..." She's lost for words, " Your work is inspiring. "

  "Oh, I doubt it. I'm sure there's other people out there doing what I am. What about you? I'm sure you have something like this." He comments.

  Jacob buts in, "You do this stuff too? Like, rescuing creatures?"

  She pauses. 'Nothing like this...'  "I.. Well, I suppose I.." She fumbles, "Training. I.. Train creatures like these."

  Newt throws a chunk of meat for the graphorns. She steals his attention.

  "Train? In what sort of way? " He asks.

  Her eyes darts around and bites her lip. "MACUSA is very strict. Especially with beasts. So when beasts make themselves known to no-majs.  I handle them. I train them to become unnoticeable. If they're too primitive, I relocate them to their proper habitat to avoid extermination. I wish there was a better outcome than this. But my goal is to treat them.  If they're hurt or sick...  I want to heal them." She explains.

  Newts expression hardens. This is the world she's faced with, a world full of hatred in a field of compassion. She's stuck between the two.

  "That's what I don't understand about your people. They should rescue, nurture, and protect these creatures. Not exterminate them because they don't understand. I'm trying to educate my fellow wizards, about them." He concludes, looking at Esther.

  Her shoulders hunch, looking at the ground. She doesn't understand. Is he scolding her? For things out of her control?

  "I'm sorry.." She whimpers.

  The wizard looks down, regretting the words he spoke from frustration. "It's not your fault... Come, there's more to see." He redirects to lighten the mood.

  A tiny, bright pink hummingbird zips past them and lands on a levitating tree. Newt leads them up some stairs that turn into a miniature bamboo forest.

  "Titus? Finn? Poppy? Marlow? Tom?" He calls making his way through. They stop at a tree where other bowtruckles reside. He fetches Pickett from his breast pocket to place him on the tree.

  "He had a cold. He needed somebody heat to warm him." He explains.

  Pickett, the bowtruckle, fights to stay attached to the wizard. He chirps at his owner while stretching his arms to the wizard's sleeve.

  "Go on." He tells him.

  Pickett continues to fight the wizard.

  "He has some attachment issues."

  The wizard switches his fingers with the bowtruckle. It clings to his thumbs.

  "Come on, now Pickett. Pickett. No, they're not going to bully you."

  The bowtruckle wraps around the wizard's finger. Newt drops his head in disappointment.  He knew better. Giggles escape Esther, watching how desperate Pickett is.

  "Alright, but this is exactly why they accuse me of favoritism." He argues placing him back in his coat.

  He turns seeing an empty enclosure.

  "I wonder where Dougal's gone." He wonders.