|Fourty - Four|

An eerie silence engulfed us as i sat beside Xerxes on the couch while my parents sat opposite of us, looking grave.

Dad had his hands joined between his legs as he kept his elbows on his knees, his head casted down, avoiding my eyes. My mother had her hand over his shoulder, rubbing it softly as a means to comfort him.

Xerxes sat straight staring at nothing in particular, his lips set in a thin line, his demeanor cold and aloof.

It couldn't take the silence anymore, it bugged me for some reason. "What's going on?" I managed to utter looking at my father, then my mother then finally my eyes settled on Xerxes.

"Tell her, Gerard." Xerxes didn't spare a glance my way as he directed his words to my father who audible let out a sigh, as if he was burdened with something.

"Daddy, what is it about?" I was starting to get antsy by their reactions. Something felt off. I held my breath as my father raised his head and his warm eyes looked at me apologetically.

"Know that, whatever we did, we did it to protect you." He started, his tone grave. My mother started tearing up beside him, crying softly.

My brows furrowed at their behaviors. What were the even talking about?

"When your mother was pregnant with you, she faced a nearly death experience, but somehow she was saved. She didn't gain conscious for a week and that's when i had a dream... about you..."

I was hearing this for the first time, they never told me about any of this. But the fact that they were suddenly bringing it up now and letting me know a said secret after 18 years of my life seemed like there were many things i was about to find out. Perhaps, things that would change my life forever.

My hands gripped each other and i placed it over my lap. For some reason, my heart was beating fast and i felt uneasy. I didn't have a good feeling about what was next to come.

As if sensing my inner turmoil, Xerxes drew me close and pulled me under his arm, holding me against him. Wordlessly, i basked in the comfort he was providing me which didn't ease my inner turmoil but didn't make me feel so lonely and lost anymore.

"I didn't saw who it was or who talked to me, i just heard their voice. I couldn't even recognise the voice if it was of a male or female but the words they said is still clear in my head, i can never forget what they told me." His voice broke a little as he breathed in deeply and i saw his tears brimming in his eyes. He tried to blink away the tears as mother held him, comforting him, giving him the strength he needed at the moment. "She who is destined to bear the mighty pup will graced thee dwelling, keep an eye on her for she is the key to everything."

"What does-" My words died down my throat and i gulped at what he was implying. "I..."

I felt a hand rub over my arm, trying to comfort me. No words escaped pass my mouth as i was rendered speechless, my mind processing everything my father has said.

"But there was someone...who knew about you before us." My father uttered, his head down his hands gripping each other tightly. "The same person who tried to kill your mother and we believe it was also the same person who kidnapped you."

An involuntary shudder went down my spine when i heard him mention my kidnapping. Those were the memories, I'd like to erase forever but the more i tried to run from it, the more i came chasing back at me.

Xerxes having sense my discomfort and my sudden fear, held me tightly and placed a light kiss at the side of my head, over my hair before whispering, "You have me now."

I bit my lip as i tilted my head to look at him, he blinked his eyes once as if assuring me, promise shining in his eyes. I gave him a small smile thankful for his words and his actions.