nine: daddy issues

NINE: daddy issueslos angeles, 1990's

NINE: daddy issues
los angeles, 1990's

ROSY WASN'T in the shop when the boy came in asking for her. the girl was across the street, grabbing donuts for her and her friends. she was trying to get her mind of the call from last night as best as she could, but when she walked back into the shop she instantly knew that was going to be impossible.

all the boys were inside the shop, eagerly waiting for rosy to come back with the donuts when he walked in. ray and fuckshit were making jokes, ruben and stevie were sat side by side on the couches smoking, and fourthgrade was mesmerized by a new vhs skate video that had gotten delivered to the store that morning.

the door bell went off but no one bothered to turn, assuming it was just another customer in need of a new board or perhaps some new wheels. but when he spoke, the words he said made everyone instantly go quiet and turn to look at him.

"hello?" he called out to the group and received no attention. the boy sighed before he spoke again, "is adriana here? i really need to see her." at his words all the boy's necks snapped in his direction. "who's asking?" ray questioned as he walked towards the front of the shop, face to face with the boy.

usually people tended to be intimated by ray but not this boy. the boy let a small chuckle leave his lips before he spoke, "her brother. tell her, me and dad are back in town and he wants to see her. she'll know where to find us." was all the boy said before he walked back out of the shop, leaving the teens dumbfounded, especially fourthgrade. "her dad?" ruben muttered to himself. "she got a brother?" fuckshit asked, completely confused.

"i know half the time i'm drunk and shit but i don't remember her ever mentioning a brother." fuckshit said. all the boys agreed with him but fourthgrade who knew the truth. everyone knew her dad wasn't in the picture, it was no secret, but a whole nother adriana? they hadn't expected that except for fourthgrade who remembered the first night he had stayed and all that she had told him.

the door bell went off again, making everyone's eyes quickly flicker back towards it, hoping it would be her brother back with answers but they felt anxiety course through their veins instead when rosy walked back in with a large smile as she held a box of donuts.

"are you guys okay? you look like you've seen a ghost or some shit." the girl said with a laugh as she stood by the door. no one spoke, they all just looked at each other. no one wanted to tell her who had just came in asking for her.

"guys, are you okay?" rosy asked again, finding herself becoming annoyed as her voice raised slightly. still no one said anything which made her sigh in annoyance. "fourthgrade, what happened?" she asked the boy who refused to look at her. "can one of you just look at me for fucks sake!" she yelled making everyone flinch, she had never yelled at them before.