36-The Black Lake Swimming Lessons

╔═══════════════╗

LIANA remembered the first time she had ever learnt to swim.

She had been in the lake near her home in Little Hangleton and Leonard had been sitting in the summer sunshine when he suddenly decided it was about time his six year old girl learned how to swim. So, with much encouragement from her mother and siblings, Liana had taken a sudden jump into the lake and attempted to doggy paddle her way across.

Of course, this had failed and she came rather close to drowning if it hadn't been for Leonard plucking her out of the water just in time. But those days where when the summer sun shone hot upon their backs and cool sweat smothered their hair down their necks. Those were the good days that Liana could remember.

But as Liana opened her eyes she came to the realisation she was somehow, in the Black lake. Faintly she could hear cheering, but the more immediate problem was the cold that was chilling her bones so deeply she could feel her eyes willing to close again. She forced her damp hair out of her face with a shaking hand as she frantically trod water, slowly remembering what she was doing in the lake. She vaguely remembered Moody and McGonagall's office and the sour potion she had drank. But her attention was suddenly grabbed by a young girl beside her, desperately trying to keep her chin out of the water.

"Gabrielle?" Gasped Liana, trying not to swallow half the black lake as she splashed over to the girl she recognised from around the corridors of Beauxbatons. Gabrielle responded with a whimper of fear as she began to slip below the surface of the water, her small fingers grasping at the water around her as the little girl tried to stop herself ducking under.

Gritting her teeth, Liana swam over to her and grabbed Gabrielle around the waist, heaving the girl onto her side like she was lifting a toddler. Gabrielle and Liana were hardly friends, unlike Fleur, Gabrielle had taken a strong disliking to Liana, given Liana's behaviour at Beauxbatons. But Gabrielle seemed to have forgotten that as she clung to Liana like a monkey, shivering as the cold winds blew around them, her stark blonde hair plastered to her head and her eyes the size of saucers as she looked around her in terror.

"Hold on," instructed Liana, although it was obvious Gabrielle had no intention of letting go either way. Liana began to make her slow progress towards the stands, where Dumbledore stood waiting along with Moody, McGonagall, Bagman and Crouch.  Liana swam the final stroke to the side of the stands where she gripped the edge in one hand, her breath coming in short gasps.

"Gabrielle!" Fleur had burst forwards from behind the judges and practically scooped Gabrielle out of Liana' arms, wrapping her in blanket after blanket. Liana sighed a breath of relief as she ignored the sisters who were now conversing so fast in gabbled French it was impossible for anyone to keep up.