Implement - Chap. Thirty-One

Only when Abigail felt Nathaniel's hand over her own, did she look away. The pads of his thumbs were methodically kneading her palms, and although the feeling was hard to ignore, she'd rather deny this than the stares they received from the Council Members.

Abbi acted like she didn't notice the look on Nate's face when ripping her hand out from underneath his.

Abbi's inner war was sitting, raging, and stirring inside her, but the reception still went on as if the world continued to spin. Maybe it actually was, still spinning that is, but to Abigail it'd completely stopped, leaving her shrouded in black; alone and afraid.

She wouldn't let her eyes meet Nate's. Especially when her heart, hammering like a drum, was loud enough for all the vampires to hear. Fortunately, though, most of them were focused on the rest of the toasts, one after the other, tale after tale about how they were lucky to have Patten and Evangeline in their lives.

And so, it continued like this for minutes on end of hours, all the while she festered in her own personal bubble of dubiety and alarm.

And boy, did the twins know she was suffering.

Everything in the way they were looking at her spoke of such (a fact that Abbi also made aware of, since she was nervously glancing over in their direction every five seconds).

The longer things went on, the more anxiety rushed through her. Abbi was a literal mess, her stomach tied in knots and her head repeatedly provided different alternatives to the situation at hand. She was stuck twiddling her thumbs, meanwhile Lucifer was probably doing the worst-case-scenarios that were seemingly bombarding Abigail from every angle.

She couldn't think straight, couldn't think at all, really.

Then Nathaniel scooted back from the table and stood from his chair; preparing to give a toast as well.

It was the consolatory thought of Nathaniel that brought her misgivings down a few notches. He was like a rock -- a very pale, blond rock, but nevertheless, Nate was still standing there, staring at her while he spoke of love and commitment.

Abigail hadn't had to worry much since the masquerade ball at Lucifer's. The short week between then and now had gone by much faster than she would've thought, but time always caught up to her. That, and the impending future of those she loved.

Where her feelings for Nathaniel were undeniable, the cognition of Lucifer was inescapable. To save Nate and her mother, Abbi was forced to do what she had to do -- and right now was the perfect time to do so. Not only did she have Nate's attention, but also the two council members'.

"Now, how about we see these two lovebirds share their first dance?" Nathaniel smirked and gestured for Evie and Patten to go to the dance floor. When they did actually stand up, Evie in the lead, the guests all smiled and turned as the couple straightened themselves to stand in the middle of the ballroom.

Strangely, Evangeline was the one to pull Patten into the dance, her hands at his waist while he watched the ground, looking embarrassed.

After the first few minutes of their slow turning, Abbi felt Nathaniel move to stand directly in front of her.

What shocked the vampires around them, and more so, Abbi, was that Nate held out his hand towards her.

It was almost like a repeat of their first encounter.

You rarely see someone as pretty as yourself without a dance partner, She replayed the moment in her head, and as Abbi met those crystalline blue eyes, there was no chance she could refuse him.

"Abigail, would you care to dance with me?" He whispered, words meant only for her ears to hear.

This is a mistake, She thought, allowing her fingers to entwine with his own before Nate took her into his strong arms.