Epilogue 2

2 Years Later

I chuckled quietly, enjoying another sip of hot cocoa as I watched my nephew tear into another gift, his light brown curls bouncing as he giggled. He'd certainly inherited the Carpenter gene of ripping into presents at Christmas.

"Gentle, Parker," Elisa chided her son, sparing an embarrassed glance for Maxon and America who watched in anticipation.

I gave myself an imaginary pat on the back for informing them of Parker's latest obsession with dogs. The smile on his face was one of pure joy as he revealed a giant stuffed puppy dog with floppy ears and I could see the King and Queen breathe in relief.

It was my family's first Christmas at the palace. Somehow my in-laws had no trouble finding gifts for my parents and siblings, but it was my almost two-year old nephew that threw them for a loop.

"What do we say, son?" Kaleb smiled at Parker, nodding towards Maxon and America.

"Thank-you!" Parker grinned, though it came out sounding more like "fank oo."

Everyone laughed and I felt Derek tug me closer, his arm slung lazily around my shoulders. I snuggled close, analyzing my husband's expression as he watched the toddler introduce everyone to his new favorite toy. Nervous butterflies surged in my stomach but I did my best to ignore them.

It was cozy and warm in the sitting room, the Schreave's, the Carpenter's, the Woodwork's, and even the Leger's, gathered around a large Christmas tree that had once been overflowing with presents. Everyone wore pajamas and Derek and I had cuddled up under our own blanket. Twinkly lights cast a glow across the room and the scent of hot chocolate mixed with the smell of cinnamon and gingerbread men. It was a perfect Christmas, even if there wasn't any snow dusting the ground. I could feel the joy as I watched my siblings intermingle with Derek's, my parents snuggled on their own love seat. It had been difficult to convince them to spend a Christmas away from Kent but I wanted them here. I needed them to be here.

Little Marlee removed herself from her namesake, Marlee Woodwork's, lap and moved to where Parker was now playing. She'd adjusted surprisingly well to not being the youngest family member anymore and insisted on playing with Parker practically every moment he'd been here.

Everly removed her head from Kile's shoulder and stretched, shoulders popping. "Was that the last one?"

I peeked over at Genevieve, who was curled up on the floor, James' arm wrapped around her waist. She gave me a discreet thumbs up and even with my nerves, I smiled at the sight of them together. It had taken them nearly two years and more than a few heartbreaks to realize what was right in front of them. And even though they were taking it slow, the real question was whether Kile or James would be the first to pop the question. 

I certainly hadn't planned on Gen being the first to know. But there wasn't anything I could do about it, seeing as how she'd practically broken into my room. 

"Uh, no actually. There should be one more in the back. For Derek. From me," I stuttered, avoiding my husband's confused gaze as he peered down at me. We'd already exchanged gifts earlier, agreeing only on small ones this year. The oil paints I'd already given him were on the table next to the photo book he'd filled with pictures of us in our first two years of marriage.

"Mmm, got it!" Annika reached behind the tree to find the box I'd placed there at the last minute, where nobody could find it and try to give it to him earlier.

"Darling," Derek smiled and shook his head, placing a gentle kiss on my cheek after Annika handed it to him. "You didn't have to get me anything else."