40. Undesired Rematch

{Namimori, Japan}

{Namimori, Japan}

"Ah those are my guests," Yuni whispered as she took one last sip of her beverage before standing up. Sending a gentle smile Yucca's way, she bowed slightly excusing herself in the process before exiting the room to the doorway. As the girl left the room, only the two brothers were left an awkward silence enveloping them.

Sipping on his drink, Yucca tried to divert his mind from the teen next to him, his thoughts instead drifting to the "guests" Yuni had gone to greet. Perhaps it was his cue to excuse himself too and take his leave. He couldn't leave them alone for too long, who knew what would happen? No, it was more accurate to say he had a hunch about what would happen and didn't want it to come true. The Varia, because of all of its colorful characters was somewhat predictable, and because they were, they became all the more unpredictable and dangerous to those who couldn't think like them.

It was luck or perhaps chance that Koro had to some extent a derange personality too. Derange, such a strong word the white pondered as he narrowed his eyes in contemplation before acknowledging the term and going back to his musing. He had to face it, someone who had gone through so much and lived through it, couldn't remain what most of the human population called "sane." His mind needed to become the least bit twisted for him to keep the small sanity that kept him leaving.

Anyone who took a step into the underworld, be it male, female, kid, adult or elderly, all of them once they got out of it wasn't quite the same anymore. And Yucca, as someone who had lived his whole present and former life within it had more than one reason to be a little off in his mind, much like the Varia. The thought made him frown slightly in wonder before a small genuine smile crept up his face. Perhaps, he hadn't joined them out of pure wonder and curiosity, as a mean to satiate his boredom. Maybe it was much more of instinctive behavior. A need to be with people like him, similar to him, with whom he would be able to stay as true to himself as possible.

This realization sent him in a semi-dazed state as he absentmindedly sipped on his drink, his sense barely making out the sound of Yuni and her guests in a neighboring room. His purple eyes stared at the wall before him for a few seconds. It was Ran's face sudden appearance that made him blink, repeatedly in mild surprise. He had, almost, forgotten about the teen next to him.

Both purple-eyed males stared into one another's eyes, not breaking eye contact. The youngest wore a bright grin as he awaited the older's reaction who kept an unusually unexpressive expression on his face. One, two, ten then thirty seconds passed until Yucca broke into a smile of his own, breaking eye contact at the same time as he sent the youngest his signature closed eyes business smile.