37

Everly's POV

It's been two months since the day I was released from the hospital. Most of my memories have returned by now as the doctor said they should.

I stand on this gigantic outdoor stage with my cap and gown on. I am overly proud of myself for graduating high school. If I'm being honest, I never thought I would've made it. I don't know how but my grades had improved extremely and I was somehow able to make up everything from the months on months I was in my coma.

I looked into the crowd from behind the red curtain where my entire graduating senior class had stood behind anxiously waiting to officially seal their 12 years of schooling with their GED. I'm not sure what I was looking for in the crowd. Obviously not my parents although, I'm not even sure that I would want them here. They have never supported me and I don't want them to start now. It's not my brother either. He's probably dead in a ditch somewhere. I don't know how I could've ever forgotten our last encounter.

I still felt as though something was missing. Like as though I haven't remembered but one more thing that I have forgotten. Like I was in this life with someone else but I just don't know who. It for sure wasn't Peightyn Rogers. She wasn't in my life anymore. I can vaguely remember our physical and verbal fights towards the end. My stomach cant help but churn and twist at the thought of it all.

I just feel like I have left something at home. You know the feeling I mean?

Our principal began announcing the names of all the graduates. Everyone's smiles were glowing in happiness an overjoy. I couldn't wait for my name to be called so I could officially be able to move on with my life. Live on my own, go to college, meet new people. It all sounds too good to be true.

After a while, they had finally finished announcing the 'A' last names and transitioned onto the seniors with last names starting in 'B'. It felt like forever since my last name began with 'M' and were only on the second letter of the alphabet.

Wait, shouldn't have Ryland Aries been announced? He goes to my school, right? He is my next door neighbor, after all. Maybe he decided to ditch it? Who knows, I barely know the kid.

Hours on hours had passed by before all the seniors were officially alumni. I was finally free from this terrible school and town. This life. This terrible life. I finally will be able to live the life I will build for myself. My life goes according to how I want it to go from here on out.

After the graduation ceremony, I walked myself home. Every other girl was in heels today. Luckily for me, I just wore my signature converse. They probably are going to celebrate at parties and dinners with their families while I am stuck walking myself home. I don't even think twice about it, anymore. It's been years since I've had anything close to what these other girls have. Peightyn may be a two-faced bitch but she has a family who really cares for her. They will probably be celebrating for weeks and throwing money at her for the rest of her life.

For me, graduating high school will be my opportunity to start a whole new life and begin a new and improved one. I will be able to erase where I came from and create where I'm bound to be. I'm overly excited and have higher expectations than I ever have for anything, ever.

As I came closer to my house, I decided I would stop by Ryland's and ask him about why he wasn't at graduation. I walked up the steps to his porch but, before I knocked on the door, I peaked through his front window. He lay there passed out of the couch. His arm was straight, dangling over the side couch, holding an entire bottle of whiskey that appeared to be completely empty.

I realized it obviously wasn't a good time. I had no idea he had a drinking problem. Maybe it was for the best that steered clear of him even though he attempted to help me regain my memory. I have remembered most things without his help, I'm not sure what else he needed me to know. If it's anything close to what I had just witnessed by looking through his window, I never would have even thought he would be able to help me remember my life.