Chapter 2

O P H E L I A ' S   P O V

I winced as I cleaned my bloody shoulder with the rubbing alcohol that I found in the kitchen cabinet.

My shoulder ached and the bleeding stopped a few moments ago. I also found some gauge and carefully wrapped it around my upper arm to ensure that if it continued to bleed, that it wouldn't be that big of an issue.

I wiped the last of my tears with a piece of paper towel.

Just as I'm about to leave, Rachel, my manager and the current owner of this institution, barged into the kitchen and stomped toward my direction.

Rachel was a stunning lady in her early twenties. Her parents owned the diner before they gave it to her and were the kindest couple that you could ever meet.

She had dark red hair and green eyes. Her lips were always glossed with a shiny red lipstick and eyebrows plucked to perfection. Her makeup was always perfect, not a shade out of place.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't envious of her beauty.

As usual, she wore a loose blouse which was tucked neatly inside of her tight pencil skirt which hugged her curves nicely. On the left side of her blouse, her name tag was pinned straight with the words Manager and her name, Rachel Lockwood, just below it.

"What was that shit that you pulled out there?" She barked at me as I cowered back slightly.

I hated when people cursed.

"I-I..." I began, unable to form a proper sentence.

She rolled her eyes and responded. "You've been working here for two and a half years and yet you still manage to make a complete fool of yourself." Her eyes traveled up and down my body in disgust.

I locked down my jaw, hoping that the burning in my eyes would go away.

I was used to the workers here speaking badly about me. Some to my face and some behind my back.

So why was I even more upset when Rachel did it?

She constantly insulted me and each time I would feel like sobbing my eyes out at her words.

There was always some type of truth in them. There was something about a woman who was as intimidating and gorgeous as Rachel that made me feel that every word she spoke was the gospel truth.

And it was.

"The only difference was that this time, not only did you manage to completely embarrass yourself, but to also embarrass me with your incompetence." She seethed.

"I'm sorry." I managed to get out without stammering.

"You're sorry?" She mocked me as she raised one of her perfect eyebrows. "You just managed to get billionaire Levi Morterez to leave my restaurant and gave his girlfriend bad service and all you have to say is sorry?" She gritted out as she took menacingly slow steps towards me.

I kept my eyes planted on the floor, my heart beating rapidly against my chest.

She gripped my chin, tugging it up to forcefully meet her glare, "You're lucky I don't fire your ass right now." She said as she pushed me back and I almost fall backward.

My eyes widened at her words and I'm nearly ready to get on my knees and beg her.

"P-Please..." I pleaded.

"Shut up." She interrupted my whimpering. "Get your shit together and serve the rest of the customers, you pathetic fool." And with those words, she pushed the door open and only then do I let the angry-tears fall.