Part XXVIII (28)

A/N: Wow sped right past that 10K! As promised Announcement time...I've started a skeleton for a spin-off companion for Crumbling Cakes! Whether it's wanted or not, two characters will have their voices heard, dammit. I don't have a name for it yet but it's all in the works. I can only hope to give them justice. Love it, hate it? Let me know! I'd love to hear your theories too!

Now, this chapter is broken into two parts and something different happens. It's the only time it will happen but I felt it was necessary. It was done with purpose and everything was done for a reason. Enjoy!

******

It was a few days to Thanksgiving. Monday to be exact and Sebastian actually followed through on his promise to close the bakery for the rest of the week. Originally I'd been dubious seeing that sometimes Strawberry Fields could be a bit of a workaholic. He may have been a tyrant on his worse days, but he was a thoughtful tyrant that gave his staff some rest after having to fire on all cylinders during the previous weeks.

I, on the other hand, had a little meeting with my kiddos. There were things that needed to be built, plans that needed to be made. I grabbed my jacket off my bed and headed to the kitchen, only stopping to make sure my card and some cash was tucked into the back of my phone.

"Eils just get it done. Okay?" I slowed my way into the kitchen, placing my jacket on the counter. Sebastian was by the balcony doors, looking out, phone pressed to his ear. "I'm absolutely serious." He laughed, the rumbling sound coming deep from his chest. It caused me to smile and pupil-fondle some buns...they were some great buns. "Don't be a pain in the ass. Yea, uh huh."

I grabbed a glass from the cupboard and filled it with some water from the sink. Still holding onto that hard tap life yo. Being a nosy nelly, I lifted my chin at Ronnie when he turned around.

"Gotta go, Eils. Don't forget." We looked at each other. His lips pulling up in a smile, I preferred it so much more than his odd behavior days before. He rolled his eyes and sighed. "Let's see how happy you'll be when you realize you should have listened. Love you too. Bye." He swiped at his screen and brought his hand down.

"Trouble in the family arc?" I asked innocently. My ears perking for a hint that could reveal his last mysterious phone call.

He sighed again, moving to sit down at the edge of the couch. Pulling his laptop open and typing immediately. "You can say that. She thinks I'm joking when I told her she needs to book a hotel room. Still hasn't booked one even though I told her a few weeks ago." He glanced up at me. "Normally she stays in the spare but this year..." He shrugged.

I frowned. "Oh. I can stay elsewhere, Sweets. I mean I don't want to kick anyone out."

"Where would you go? It's your room now, Short Stack." He clicked away on the keyboard. "And stop trying to worm your way out of Thanksgiving dinner. You're getting the full McLoughlin experience." He winked at me over his shoulder. "Besides, I'm paying for her room. Not a big deal. She may think I'm joking but I'm going to book that room now. See if she doesn't put it off until every room on this side of the city isn't taken. I'll be lucky if I find anything now."

I chewed on my bottom lip nervously, walking my empty glass to the dishwasher. "My offer still stands if you can't. Don't worry about me, I'll find my way, Ronnie." I could always stay with the misfits. I'm sure they would accept me with open arms. We're discussing plans today, I can bring it up then.

"Lia, I'd like for you to be here." He turned to watch me put on my jacket. "You're not putting anyone out. Unless you really don't want to be here, I can't force you to stay." Did I want to run away and hide from his family? A little. I've heard countless stories and they sounded wonderful. But I was worried they wouldn't like me. Or worse make assumptions that I was using Sebastian. The appeal of experiencing a real holiday dinner with family though...that was something I could only dream about in the past.