Chapter Thirty-Two

TANIA

She was drowning

She was drowning. Her consciousness fading even as she was hyper aware of all that was happening around her. The Luna's challenging growl as she came to stand between her and Jake. Her beta coming to stand by her side, the pack warriors taking a stance, the ground quaking a bit in response to Rya being upset. Yet all she saw were his self satisfied eyes.

He looked so confident. Alone against nine people ready to defend Nia. While she cowered inside like a weakling without any idea of how to fight.

'Fight damnit!' A part of her mind shouted, but a haze covered most of it. Confused, her wolf retreated to the depths of their shared soul unable to give her any strength. Not that it'd've made a difference. She had fought the first time and that had been a mistake.

No matter how the beast felt about Jake, the mating pull was still there, he was her mate even as Lex was. Maybe even more as the bond had been consumated, however unwilling on her part.

"You know the rules regarding mating Luna," he sneered at Lex's mum. "You can't interfere, none of you can."

"She is no longer your mate." Luna Althea declared.

Jake smirked. That smug, arrogant slash that he used to declare his superiority. "Are you sure about that?" He moved closer, a subtle move to intimidate, to suggest he held the upper hand. "You see, my mate never accepted my rejection" Nia blanched at that truth, dread finding purchase inside her until she felt she would explode. "And I rescind it."

Nia gasped as something shifted inside her, the bond she'd felt tear at his rejection reknitting itself. Not that it had been completely gone. A tether to her soul that felt so wrong even as a sick satisfaction awakened inside her. This was what had been meant to be. Her soulmate embracing her healed her, soothed something she had barely realised was broken.

She felt the fragile bond she had with Lex starting to fray. Panic replaced the euphoria she'd been feeling. She couldn't have that! She wasn't going to let Jake take away the one good thing she had. Whatever mysticism governed mating wasn't going to overrule her mind. Lex was everything she needed, not this smarmy jerk before her.

"No." Though her denial was weak it was enough to halt the reforging.

"Too late Tania," his words rang with finality. "The child you carry makes our bond stronger than the one you have with your little alpha."

Her heart twisted, as if a knife had just been plunged into it and slowly rotated. He couldn't be right, he couldn't. Yet she knew he was.

"I...I r..reject you." She stammered, unsure what else to say, what else to do.

He shook his head at her, his smug smile still in place. "Too late Tania." He said again.