twenty-two

Jacob entered the basement

Jacob entered the basement. He pushed open the door, staring around cautiously. He was soaked from standing in the rain, searching for Queenie after she Disapparated away from him.

"Hey, Newt?" Jacob called out.

There was no response.

Newt was busy with trying to wrangle the Nifflers away from Neeki's shiny fur, as well as her gem-encrusted collar. Neeki growled and rolled onto her back, attempting to smush the Nifflers.

"Ah - Neeki - "

Jacob peered into the enclosure. He walked mournfully past an Augurey, then it cawed at him. He debated on addressing it or finding the couple. He waved the Augurey away. "I got my own problems." Jacob continued walking around, growing frustrated by the minute.

Then, he walked into Newt's mini office. The Nifflers, Newt, and Neeki all froze.

"Um - am I interrupting something?" Jacob asked.

In the heat of the moment, the Nifflers unpatched Neeki's collar and scurried away. Neeki let out a fierce roar and ran after the family.

"Ah - shucks," Newt muttered. "Sorry, Jacob, would you mind...?"

Newt made a gesture.

"Oh! Yeah, of course."

Then, the two ran after Neeki and the Nifflers.

"Um - I know this is bad timing, but can you guys help me find Queenie? She - uh - left a postcard. I think she went after Tina in Paris," Jacob said.

At the mention of Paris, Newt froze, only to chase after Neeki again. He was reminded of Dumbledore's words.

"I... I'm not sure, Jacob. This trek may be dangerous."

Jacob nervously chuckled. "Nothing new, right?"

Newt sighed. "If you're sure."

"I'll get my jacket," Jacob said.

"I've got it," Newt said, pointing his wand at the ceiling.

Jacob's jacket dropped onto his arm. Then, he was blasted with warm magical air, which dried his rain-soaked clothes.

He was impressed. "Oh. Beautiful."

"Accio," Newt said, pointing his wand at the Nifflers.

Neeki stopped running and froze as the collar flew into his hand. She ran to him and tackled him to the floor, licking his face as he attached the collar back. She transformed back and smiled happily at Newt.

"I suppose we're going to Paris, Neeki," Newt said.

"France?" she questioned.

He brought his case to him with his wand. "Yes."

"Europe?" she added.

"Yes, I'm glad you've been paying attention during our geography lessons. Although, we've been in Europe this whole time, really," Newt explained.

She tilted her head to the side and said, "Okay."