I ~ Her Backstory

You meet a lot of crazy ass people when you have the job that I do. My job? Lock up the bad guys. I've been doing my job for a while, five years to be exact. I'm allowed to leave the system anytime I want because I've already exceeded my contracted requirement. But will I? Never. There's something about this job that gives me an adrenaline high. I'm rarely required to work nights but I do it anyways. That's when all the good shit happens, and you're crazy if you think I'd miss out on that. I absolutely love my job.

I got into this job when I was twenty-two. Directly after finishing training I was hired to work in New Jersey. My backstory? Not much of one. I was raised by two loving parents who are still alive and retired in Florida. I don't visit them much, maybe once a year. I'm an only child who grew up in Chicago. I currently live in an apartment by myself a few miles away from the precinct. Just me and my Border Collie named Grey.

That's enough of introduction, so I'll tell you about what's going on now. I just pulled into my parking spot outside of my apartment complex. I grabbed my files and headed into the building. As much as I love my job, it sure has been kicking my ass with this one case. There have been several cases filed on an unidentified man robbing stores and leaving behind a Jack of clubs in the register with the initials A.W. on the back. No one has seen this man's face which makes it even harder, but he's been described to have black hair and wears a yellow mask with black triangles around the eyes and a blue dot in the middle of the forehead. We've dusted the cards for prints but there aren't any on them, or in the stores. 

Once I got into my house I set my files on the counter and dropped to the floor to say hello to Grey. He licked my face up and down and ended up tackling me. We carried on like this until I put some food and water in his bowls. I fixed the yellow bandanna tied around his neck, then went into my room to change into some sweats and a tee shirt. Plopping onto my couch, I pulled my laptop onto my lap as well as the files. This case really does have me stumped like my name was Patrick. 

There were hundreds of thousands of people with the initials A.W. in my records. It would be impossible to figure it out like this. I wracked my brain for what felt like hours until a phone call from my co-worker startled me out of my trance.

"Brendon? What's up?" I answered the phone. By his tone, I could tell that he found something.

"We've had a few different people send in descriptions of what A.W. looks like. I'm sending you a few possible sketches of the man we're looking for. They weren't the best descriptions since his full face has never been revealed so our artist did up a few different ones."

"Brendon. You're the best." I smiled through the phone. Brendon is possibly my best friend in the entire world-as well as the best partner. 

"I do what I can." I could feel his smirk through the phone. We hung up after I received his email. The sketches all seemed fairly similar since the mask covered up a large portion of his face. Thinner lips, black messy hair, round face. Didn't seem like too tall of a man. There was one sketch in particular that caught my eye. I feel like I had seen him around a time or two. The sketch depicted a very attractive man, I'll give him that.

"Fuck it. I'll deal with it in the morning." I yawned. Shoving the files away, I got up and called Grey to follow me to my room. We snuggled in bed together, images of the possible convict in mind.