Chapter 12

"What do you mean you don't know what happened?" I asked with a shocked tone. I had no words to describe the emotions I was feeling in that moment. Beyond worried, I asked Delhi another question. "What am I supposed to do?"

She turned her gaze upwards to meet my eyes. There was something strange about her countenance, something foreign and serious. "Run. Tonight. Leave."

I must've been staring at her for too long of a time because she added another few words to her previous statement. "Take Grayson and no one else."

"Well I have to at least tell Billy where I'm going. I can't very well up and leave him." Delphi had no reaction. "And what about school? I only have a little over one semester left. I can't just dessert everyone and everything. I've been working too hard in school."

"As I understand it, you already have enough credits to graduate."

"Yeah but..." I stopped myself, and pondered for a moment. How did Delphi know this? Sure she was a psychic, but the plan was much to intricately thought out. "How do you know that?"

There was a sudden shift in mood. The air turned stale and cold. A certain sense of foreboding hung over my head, threatening to unleash something terrible unto me.

"Delphi what's wrong? It's so cold-" I said as I turned to face the psychic vampire once more.

Instead of being faced to face with the pleasant looking Delphi, I was instead forced to look into the eyes for another. It was a man before me with horrific, deep set red eyes and black hair. He had a musty scent, almost as if he'd recently been underground or in water. I opened my mouth to scream, but a pale white hand was slapped overtop it.

"Don't scream, or else I'll really be forced to kill you." I didn't recognize his voice. The accent was American and by further extent, seemingly from somewhere in the North.

"Who are you?" I said. My voice came out severely muffled from behind his hand.

"Puppeteer sent me to come and get you." He pushed my head back at a severe angle thus revealing the long stretch of my neck. He inhaled sharply before running his tongue along my jugular. Then, he unclasped his hand from my mouth.

"So you're a Shifter?" He nodded. "So Delphi didn't make it out of Headquarters alive?"

The Shifter let out an evil, ground shaking laugh. "She did. But when Puppeteer got word she was coming to warn you, he sent me to come kill her and meet with you in her place. Genius, isn't it?" The vampire released my neck from it's precarious position.

Billy. My mind immediately went to Billy. Had they killed him? Were they going to use him as bait? The Shifter seemed to take note of what I could be worried about, because he soon pacified my anxiety (well, as much as it could be).

"You wondering about your father eh? He's fine. There was an urgent emergency at the harbor. Here, check your phone, I'll prove it to you."

With unparalleled speed, he reached into my back pocket and pulled out my phone. Sure enough, there was a single text from Billy informing me that he'd be heading back to Pines to check up on the boat. He'd left a few voicemails too.

"This is wrong," I began, "he'd never leave me somewhere so far from home especially without a ride."

"True. But he may leave you if he thought you'd have a safe means of returning home."

Before my very eyes, the vampire's face and body shifted. He was no longer a he, but rather a she.

Evelyn sat before me.