46. Disappeared

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

"Okay, ask away."

I stared at Jaden for a moment, trying to choose where to start. We were sitting on the couch, at opposite ends, sitting sideways so we could talk face-to-face. I had a thick blanket around my shoulders and an empty cup in my hands. The hot chocolate really did the trick, and I was feeling much better now. Arch was sleeping in the bedroom with Tilly taking care of him, and Aurora was in her wolf form, lying on the ground in the middle of the house, keeping guard.

"Okay," I finally said and put the cup away, pulling the blanket tighter around my shoulders. "I'm a... Spirit Walker," I said, and he nodded. "I can see spirits and talk to them and... travel into their realm."

"Yes, that is correct," he said stiffly.

"Is it like an ability or...?" I trailed off.

"It's a race," Jaden said. "You're not human."

"But you said I am human. One hundred percent," I frowned.

"Well... It's because you technically are," he said with a short chuckle. "I mean... uhh... Arch would be better at explaining this, but... You are like an advanced version of human. The basics are the same, but there's differences in minor details, like you guys are pretty short."

"And I can phase out of this realm," I said.

"And that," he smirked.

"So why not just call it an ability? A human with an ability to see spirits."

He grimaced at my words. "Don't say that out loud when your people are around."

"Why not?" I laughed.

"You saw the old guy when I called him a dwarf," he smirked. "Besides, like I said, the basics may be the same, but you're too different to be called a human."

"All right," I nodded. "There's still so much I don't understand..."

"We have time," Jaden said quietly.

"Okay so... There's Spirit Walkers, and Shadow Walkers," I paused for a moment, and Jaden nodded. "Shadow Walkers used to be Spirit Walkers, but they turned bad. Can I turn bad?"

"Do you want to turn bad?" he laughed. "No, I don't think you can."

"Why not?"

Jaden's laughter died away, and he took a deep breath. "From what I've understood, shadows are hard to control. Shadows – or wraiths as some people call them – used to be spirits. Bad spirits. When they were still alive, they were horrible people. They enjoyed causing pain and misery. When a person like that dies, and his spirit stays in this realm, it turns into a shadow, gathering all the negativity and evilness around the world. Most of them can't be controlled at all, and some will only make deals with Shadow Walkers in order to gain what they want."