Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Conversation came to a uncomfortable lull after that, like Kailen had remembered who he was speaking to and wished to snatch back his words from the air between them. It couldn’t have been easy to speak of his dead brother and, while Aurelia would not forget what she had so recently learnt about him even if she wanted to, she wanted to move to a safer topic and ease the discomfort that had fallen over the hut.

“So now I’m here,” she ventured quietly. “You’ve succeeded in challenging Aquilla and taking me hostage. You’ve safely got me back to your village and showed me off to your leader and your High-King like the hostage i am. What do you plan to do now?”

Kailen poked at the fire with one of the sticks that wasn't alight, sending sparks and embers up into the air, the logs crackling merrily. “A very good question. One that I don’t have a firm answer i can give to you without making it up.”

Aurelia blinked rapidly, not knowing what to make of the sudden turn in conversation. “You’re saying you don’t know what to do with me?” She asked him incredulously.

Kailen smiled a smile that caused her to blush deeply. “Well, I wouldn’t go so far as to say that-“

“I have an intended,” she hissed angrily.

“But yes, you’re right. I hadn’t thought that far ahead quite yet.” He answered. “It was fate that led us to you, you know. Not calculation. I knew from the moment i knew who you were that you would be precious to my High-King’s cause, and that I had to get you back to my village for safe keeping with my tribe. But other than that…” He shrugged with one shoulder. “I never had a War Prize under my charge before. I find myself in new territory.”

“I’ve heard you and your men call me War Prize before.” Aurelia said. "I don't understand the term. What does it really mean?”

Kailen sat back, situating himself comfortably. “War Prize is what we call those who were taken in battle and placed under our care, people of noble blood or of great importance to their own tribe that are used as hostage negotiation or as a peace settlement between the two tribes.” He explained.

“You mean War Prizes are used as slaves?” she wondered aloud.

He shook his head. “Not slaves in the literal sense, no. Slaves are used for menial labour, owned by their masters, to do with as they see fit. They have no rights, no say in their own lives. The lowest rung in a tribe’s hierarchy, lower than that of livestock. War Prizes stand apart from all of that. They may be claimed by a person, but they are not owned as property. Their purpose is not for labour but for the greater good of the tribe. In your case, you are here to right the wrong done to my people.”

“So a War Prize is a glorified trophy.” She said bitterly.

“If you wish to see it in those terms, then yes. To my people, you are something to celebrate.” Kailen said softly.