Promises

Hello all! I'm so tired guys I've been up all night finishing this chapter to get it out in time. This chapter hasn't been beta'd yet so it might be a little rough around the end as I didn't have time to read through it yet. PLEASE POINT OUT MISTAKES!!!! Also, fun fact, it took me an hour to figure out a title. I'm kinda not proud of that.

------------------------------------------------------

"Are you sure, Ori? You barely have enough money to afford the player, are you sure it's worth it? You've been working pretty hard to get that money.” Shinsou said, his voice laced with concern.

He and Izuku had spent the day panhandling, as they had for the past week after their first encounter, usually using Izuku’s blindness to guilt people into giving them more money.

It had been a slow day. By 6 o'clock, they had earned just over fourteen dollars, 6 dollars under their average for a 5 hour day. Apparently, Izuku wanted to spend a portion of his hard earned money on a piercing, saying that it was an ode to a friend. He then had to explain what an ode was to Shinsou, who still didn't fully understand his reasoning.

“Yes, I'm sure Shinsou. I owe this to my friend, and piercings don't cost that much if you bring your own jewelry, which I'm going to. We've almost earned enough for both, ok? I need this.” Izuku smiled pleadingly at Shinsou.

After a few moments of contemplation, he finally smiled, shook his head, and chuckled, utterly defeated. “Fine, but don't come out crying and complaining.” Izuku smiled and jumped up excitedly. He was finally going to get the piercing!

“Alright!” Izuku exclaimed, fist-pumping up to the sky. “Wanna meet up here tomorrow? I'm sure your parents are gonna start worrying about you soon, and I need to plan everything out.”

“Yeah, you're right,” Shinsou said, checking his watch. “Don't go spending your money without me, ok?”

Izuku scoffed, a smile on his face. Shinsou and he exchanged goodbyes and began walking in their respective directions, Shinsou heading home and Izuku to the shady neighborhood where the base was located.

By the time he reached the neighborhood the air had began to feel chilly, signaling night. Izuku breathed in and revelled in the cold air that filled his mouth and lungs. He would never get tired of how the cool fresh air felt and smelt, along with the freedom that it came with.

Izuku walked into a dark alleyway a few blocks away from the base, the soft tap, tap, tap of his cane echoed off the walls. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, … ah! There it was. He reached up and jumped, grabbed ahold of the cold metal ladder, and pulled down. The ladder’s legs hit the pavement with a loud thud. Izuku smiled and grabbed ahold of the ladder, folded up his cane, and began his ascent.

After a few minutes of climbing, he finally reached the top of the building. He stood up, feeling almost weightless. He pulled his cane out from the waistband of his pants, unfolded it, and began walking about the roof. He soon found one end of the floor and sat down with his feet dangling off the edge. He felt the chilly breeze whip across his face and he smiled a large, almost manic, smile. This was what freedom felt like, and god it was euphoric. He kicked his legs back and forth, humming a little nonsense tune.

His mind began to wander, and soon memories filtered into his mind. They were a bit different from the usual memories, which were usually of Dabi. This time, they were of kacchan. Izuku didn’t realize how much he missed his friend and all of his stupid adventures. A thought hit him, and he began to laugh. He always played the villain when they played their hero game, and while Kacchan was the perfect hero, he was an even better villain. Fate always was a cruel mistress, and he wondered if that was her way of showing Izuku his grizzly fate.