Chapter 27

After the New York date, Harry went back to a safer option. something less likely to stir up old emotions.

It was odd to be back in dress robes, something he used to wear so often, but hadn't since his own gala. The night Draco had agreed to the nine dates. Giving them another chance at getting this right after so many fucked up attempts.

This was the eighth date, the second last one. Had he done enough to give them a solid foundation? Could they have a good relationship going forward? Was Harry still caught in his abandonment thinking, doing anything to just keep Draco around? Blind to his faults, desperate to be together even if it was toxic?

Even in his limited experience, Harry had to say they had given these dates a fair shot. Used the time to get to truly know each other, the real Draco and Harry, below the public image and the haze of their shared past.

Beyond still being strongly physically attracted to Draco, Harry knew his feelings for the man had deepened. He loved his intelligence, his passion for books and ideas, and his drive to share that with the public. To make a positive difference in the world. He saw his remorse for his past, the bullying, narrow-mindedness, and everything he had been drawn into as the war became inevitable. He had survived it, and worked hard to change.

At the core of the man, there was intelligence and humour, and a good heart that he learned to follow. He had fought his demons in sixth year, facing the horrible task he had been assigned, and his failure to kill Dumbledore had been a watershed moment.

Harry had no more doubts about Draco as a man. The thing that made his hands shake as he pulled on his dress shoes and took in his reflection, attempting to smooth down his unruly hair, was his doubts that Draco had the same types of feelings about him. Was there more than liking each other? Lust? A shared past? Was there enough there to keep them together after the last date?

Knowing it was useless to delay, Harry apparated to the exterior of a fancy hotel. Draco was already there, and he straightened as he spotted Harry, a smile of greeting spreading slowly over his handsome face.

He returned the smile without conscious thought, running his eyes over Draco approaching him in impeccable dress robes, looking so gorgeous Harry felt a bit breathless.

"Hi," he said softly, his voice breathier than he expected.

Draco's lips tightened into a slight teasing smirk. "Hi, yourself. You look good."

The words were surprising to hear, but started a warm glow deep inside Harry. He held out his hand towards Draco. "Ready to go in?"

Taking his hand, Draco allowed Harry to guide him inside the crowded hotel lobby. Paparazzi were taking pictures and interviewing the prominent attendees, and Harry was relaxed as he posed with Draco, and they both answered their share of questions. Deflecting anything too personal with a neutral 'No Comment'.

Soon enough, they were guided to their table, sharing it with Ron, Hermione, Arthur and Molly. Harry was happy to see Draco was greeted just as warmly as he was by everyone.

"George and Ginny are running a bit late," Molly said, nodding towards to the two empty chairs at their table.

Ron was sitting to Harry's left, and he leaned his shoulder against him for a moment. "Do you have a speech prepared?"

Flushing slightly, Ron gave a quick nod. He looked nervous, and grabbed his water glass to gulp half of it down.

"He's been practicing it in front of the bathroom mirror for weeks, but hasn't let me hear it yet," Hermione said, giving her fiancé a fond look, and taking his hand with her's.