Truth (V.H)

July 22nd, 1959. 7:39 PM. Some random train

"I feel betrayed now because we aren't French," I frown.

"Poland! Ugh!" Juliet exclaims.

Vincent looks out the train window and narrows his eyes. "Something doesn't feel right about Poland."

"What doesn't?" Juliet asks.

"It doesn't add up,"

I nod. "I agree, it feels off."

"What puzzles me most is that we don't look Polish."

"Red hair, green eyes. Well, blonde-ish hair for you, Vin." I bite my lip.

"And Koch and Antoni are blonde and blue eyed. Ania has red hair and the same green eyes." Vincent adds.

"What do Poles look like, then?" Juliet rolls her eyes.

"Not like us." Vincent mumbles "Hell, Buddy looks more Polish than we do,"

Juliet looks at Buddy. "So, brown hair and brown eyes?"

Buddy turns to me and raises and eyebrow.

"Yeah. Darker complexions. Darker than us, at least."

Juliet looks out the window. "Huh."

"Our facial structures don't even look remotely eastern," Vincent sighs. "If anything we look Scandinavian,"

"I agree with that," I say

"Something isn't right here, I just know it." Vincent furrows his eyebrows. "Not to be stereotypical of easterns, but we really, truly, do not look like we're from anywhere near the east."

Our train comes to a halt. We all stream out and start heading to a small resturaunt. We agreed to meet with Koch and only Koch. He seems to be the only one who will hear us out.

I grab Buddy's hand as we walk. This feels like the most normal part of this entire trip, however weird that is. Just heading to a nice little place to discuss how everything we know is a lie.

We come up on the resturaunt. It's a cute, casual diner. As we walk in, we see Koch sat at a large corner booth.

"Welcome to Jimmy Slims, how can I help you?" the hostess asks.

"Oh, we're with that man over there," Juliet points to Koch.

"Very well! Go on over there and take a seat. Your server will be Alma and she will be with you soon," the hostess chirps.

We pile into the booth.

Koch grins. "Hey all!"

"Hey!" I say.

"How was your day?"

I shrug. "It was fine. It's been as good as it can get considering the circumstances."

"That's good to hear, Violet." he says. "Well, let's not beat around the bush. I think it may be time I tell you the whole story."

"Finally," Juliet sighs. "Tell us everything, please, just don't lie to us anymore,"

"Okay," Koch begins, putting out his cigarette. "I haven't lied, but I haven't told the whole story."

"Same thing," I utter.

"Well, you were born on November the 11th in Poland. That part is true. So is the part where your parents were spies. That's very true. Giving you all up at a year old is true. Taking you to France for safety is true. That is all true. What happened while you were in France, well, that isn't so easy. Antoni was sent to England by the Nazi party, but as soon as he could, he told the English the whole story. How he was Polish, how he wasn't in on the Nazi agenda, how the Germans wanted him to spy. It took some convincing, but eventually, the English trusted him. They, in turn, set him up to spy on the Germans. A complicated situation, I know. He was a spy in England and Ania was a spy in the United States. Same story. Germans sent her there, she told the Americans, they accepted it and used her as a spy for them. Well, as for me, I was just a plain old soldier. At first, I was stationed in Norway, but I somehow made my way into Paris, just to find you all. You obviously know everything about that. Those times I had to leave for a couple of days is when I'd meet up with Antoni and Ania. I'd tell them all about you. Oh, how they wished they could have kept you," Koch wipes a tear. "They really did love you."