PROLOGUE

SHE TOLD HERSELF THAT IT was necessary. That cutting and dying her hair was now a necessity for her every day life if she wanted to survive. Taking a small glance in the mirror, she looked at the purple bruise forming under her eye. You're doing this because of him, she reminded herself.

Remmi took the first cut and cringed slightly. She definitely was not okay with this.

As she continued to cut, the long, brown locks she had grown accustomed to were now on the ground surrounding the white tile in the Motel 6 bathroom that she was holed up in. Once her hair reached just below her chin, she agreed that that was certainly more than enough. For once in her life she was almost happy she stuck with Cosmetology her first year of college.

Picking up the box of hair dye, Remmi began the process of dying her hair. Derek never would have let you do this, Remmi shook her head of the thoughts that lingered and began to place the yellow dye along her scalp. She ignored the burning sensation and rubbed the blonde dye around her hair, making sure to cover every piece of hair.

It had been an hour. Remmi looked in the mirror at her now wet, blonde and short hair. To her, it actually wasn't that bad. Based upon looks anyway she thought she could pull it off. Running the white hotel towel through her hair one more time, her phone began to ring.

"How soon can you start?" The voice asked immediately, followed by a short laugh. "The chief was impressed, he wants you to start as soon as possible."

"How about the end of the week? Is that okay?"

"That's perfect. We'll see you soon Doctor,"

Remmi sighed as she walked back to her bed and plopped down at the end of it. Fear was now instilled in her. It was a constant worry in her life now and she could only hope, no... She could only pray that the feeling didn't last long. Although, something told her that that wasn't going to happen.

Her fear was apart of her now and she was to live with it. Or that's what she told herself. Either way her new life began at the end of the week. The small town of King's County was her home now. And she was forced to push the fear away and straighten up her act before any suspicion of her now past caught up with her.

꧁꧂

*published