2. shipping jackuary and the house down the street

|2.| shipping jackuary and the house down the street.

Oliver had always lived in my neighborhood so when I witnessed a white sedan pulling up followed by a police car, I realized that the rumors were true and they weren't just a string of gossip.

Oliver had been released from juvie early and was being brought back to civilization.

Squinting as the car parked on the curb beside his house, I heard the bouncing and pounding of a basketball, "Nothing like suburbia," I muttered under my breath as I saw a few people exiting the sedan and walking up the pathway.

"Emerson, the freak show is back," I heard my little brother, Jackson, say as he brought his 6'2 figure up closer to me bouncing his basketball beside me as we made our way to the court to meet up with Sidney.

I rolled my eyes as I stared at the pavement walking in a straight line, my arms spread out and one in front if the other, "I know, Jacky. I'm not blind, I just saw the cars pull up too."

Jackson bounced the ball once more before grabbing it and holding it steady as he peered over my head staring unnoticably at the two white vehicles glimmering in the sunlight. I pulled my hoodie off of my waist and onto my harms as I tried to get past the cold, frankly, I didn't want to go play basketball but ma insisted that I spend some time with my brother.

"You think the rumors are true?" he asked, creasing his forehead and licking his lips, his dimples appearing as he watched three figures exit the police car.

I snorted as I reached up and pulled my hair into a ponytail, "No," blinking a few times, I bit the inside of my cheeks, thinking.

"I mean, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let him out if he'd committed murder?" I asked as I synced my steps with his, my Air Force 1s looking out of place next to his Adidas. Fiddling with the hem of my jacket and then stuffing my hands into my short's pockets, I blocked myself from the sun.

Jackson nodded as he bounced from one foot to another and continued his walk as I started to lag behind, leaving me to catch up with him as he dribbled the ball a few times, he was wearing a short sleeve shirt and a nike wrist band that did nothing but make him look stupid in the chilly October air.

It was silent and Jackson wasn't a fan of silence so it didn't surprise me when he started talking again, "It's just... weird, ain't it? The guy's been gone for months. You think he's coming back to school?"

I shrugged even though he didn't see me, "I guess, he doesn't really seem to care about the shit people have to say."

He seemed to think for a second before he nodded curtly, "I guess you're right, I mean... The nigga's crazy," he said as he chuckled slightly, shuffling from foot to foot as he passed the ball between his legs.

I scoffed, "I doubt that he's crazy, they would've put him in a mental hospital, then."

I looked up at his 6'2 figure when he went silent, his curly black hair casting a shadow over his face. Then he spoke, right when I was hoping he'd shut up. I didn't really like gossiping, especially when I knew nothing, "Yeah but isn't that why Jacie Morgan broke up with him? Because he's insane... She's fucking hot, if I were him, I'd be upset."

I just ignored my brother's hormonal thought train and continued to walk along the sidewalk, making sure not to step on cracks. My feet were twisting and turning at awkward angles as were my thoughts as I continued to process randomness in my mind.

It seemed as if all everyone ever cared about was drama. It just so happened that the source of drama was now Oliver.

I kept walking until I saw the white lines of the court and realized exactly where we were. I heard Sidney's brief greeting, her converse clad feet coming into my view. I smiled widely as she pulled me into a hug, her waist length hair tied into a bun behind her and her makeup free face leaning on my shoulder.