Chapter 4: Camp Stories

(I do not own this art, if you know who the artist is please tell me so they can get recognition.)

Ithilwens POV:
    I sat meditating on the cliff so I could relax my mind and listen to what the wind carries in its cold grasp. I listened to every whisper as the company worked to set up their camp. They talked through out the whole process which would distract me causing me to lose my concentration and when Bofor decided to make dinner my sense of smell was also distracted but I did not let them distract me I have one job and that is to keep watch and make sure there were no orcs within reach.
As the sun started to set Bofur being the kind soul that he is brought my a bowl of the delicious stew. Once I finished my small serving I put my bowl next to my pack which I still had yet to set up.
    "Do you need help with that lass?" A kind voice asked me.
    "Thank you bofur but I do not need assistance, I will set it up when I feel like we are safe for the night," I paused for a second and he started to walk away. "Bofur you are a wonderful cook, the stew was the best I have ever tasted. Keep up the good work."
    I could see his smile turn from a small one to a huge grin and a twinkle in his eye at the compliment. I turned back to the cliff and once again relied on my senses, I could smell a faint smell of dried blood and sweat, a smell that I had grown detest over the long years. I growled lowly at the smell my and pupils expand allowing me to see anything that would happen to reflect or give off some sort of light, giving away its position. The smell seemed to be a mile or more from our position, but it is difficult to tell because the wind slightly changed its course making it harder to pin point it.
I stood and made my way over to Gandalf and Thorin.
    "Gandalf I sense a pack of orcs, al though their sent is weak."
    "Hmm, so they are already on our trail..." He mumbled to me. I looked to him for instruction my old training coming back to me. I stood awaiting my orders, patient and quiet as to not interrupt his thinking. "Ithilwen keep your senses open a—" My head quickly snapped to the intruding voice and flared down at the dwarf.
    "Should I not be the one giving orders, I do believe that this is my company not yours Gandalf!" Thorin hissed through his clenched jaw, he was clearly mad that I had ignored him. Gandalf on the other hand enjoyed this, you could tell by the smirk he was hiding behind his bearded face.
     "Very well Thorin why don't you give her your orders then."
    Thorin thought for a minute and I was growing increasingly impatient. "While were in this era would be nice 'your majesty'" Thorin looked like he was going to attempt to strangle me, but Gandalf put a hand on his shoulder and stopped him.
    "Just go and do as Gandalf said, just get out of my sight." He grumbled as he turned and went back to the fire.
    "You must let your resentment for his family go." He put his hand on my shoulder and I looked into his eyes and saw both concern and disappointment. I lowered my head in shame. It was a look that my chief had used on many occasions after... I shook my head away from the memory, and took a step away from Gandalf and turned to walk back to my spot on the cliff.
    "Do me a favor and stop worrying." It was almost a whisper but I knew that he had heard it.
    I sat down at the cliff edge with my legs tucked under me, eyes closed, listening to what the sky and earth are trying to relay to those who can hear. After not moving for hours the orcs finally decided to announce their presence with their ear piercing screech. I growled warning the others but they were busy with scaring poor little Bilbo. I finally had enough and was going to save Bilbo from their teasing when Thorin beat me to it.
    "You know not about what you speak!..' He chastised his nephews, "You do not know the true fear!" then he stormed away to look broodily at where the sound originated.
    Balin started to tell the boys why Thorin acted the way he did, I sat back down and grabbed my twin swords so they could be sharpened. I peacefully ignored their conversation until I heard the name that has brought me both great anger and sadness.
    "...it was Azog, Azog the defiler..."
I missed the wet stone and sliced my palm, I did not notice as I was forcefully dragged back to memories I had forgotten. I grabbed the back of my neck as a burning sensation overwhelmed my senses causing me to his in pain and bite my tounge. Forcing my eyes open I saw a man with long blond hair and gorgeous green eyes like early spring flashed before my eyes.
    "Odulen an edraith anlen...Ithilwen..." (1) The man's voice was clear but I recognized it. I reached out my hand to the man whispering, "Iston i nîf gîn..."(2)
The vision disappeared with the wind as a small hand land on my shoulder.

(1) I am here to save you Ithilwen.
(2) I know your face.
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
I'm sorry I have not updated I have been very busy and I still am busy so updates will be slow.... Forgive me