Chapter Sixteen

Ethan

My life has never been sweeter or more complete than it was right now, not even when I had my sight. I never felt this way before, I liked everything that was her. The song of her voice. The ring of her laugh. The softness of her skin. The tender kisses of her lips and what they did to my poor heart. No one has have ever invaded my mind the way Skye did.

I sighed deeply letting the tranquility wash over me.

I turned my phone on, "Time?" I asked for the third time.

"The time is now 3:55 pm" Answered the mechanical voice.

Skye was late for our study session, and she didn't call as she usually did to tell me that she was going to be late.

I dialed her number again, it was ringing, but she didn't pick up. Maybe she didn't hear her phone, I tried to convince my restless heart. Or perhaps she had it on silent mode.

I started to stalk up and down the hall as I dialed her number again waiting impatiently to hear her voice, "Pick up... pick up".

Nothing. It rang until it got disconnected.

Did something happen?

My chest instantly clinched at the thought. I shook the idea out of my head as soon as it sparked. I refused to allow myself to go there just yet.

How else could I reach Skye?

The gears in my brain turned rapidly.

Of course! Sophie!

And stupidly, I didn't have Sophie's number.

Disappointment settled in for a second before it got chased away with a spark of hope.

Hank! Hank has Sophie's number!

I dialed Hank's number right away. He was out of town these days on my behalf for something I've asked him to do.

Annnnd it went to voicemail. Argh!

What other numbers did I have? I raked my brain in defeat. Nothing!

"Skye." The caller ID in my phone blurted as it started buzzing in my hand.

My heart jumped at the mention of her name and I hustled to pick up, "Skye..."

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry. I didn't hear my phone..." Skye's words rushed the moment she heard my voice.

"I was starting to get worried." I lied. I was way past 'starting'.

"I'm sorry." She apologized again.

She sounded different. Her voice shook like she was on the verge of crying and my heart sank, "Is everything alright?"

"Um... well, I kindda had a tiny car accident."

My chest tightened, "Are you okay?"

Terror ran through my veins and my heart raced to the point I could hear it in my ears. I rushed down the hall making my way to the front door when my fingers froze on the doorknob and all of me suspended in an absolute halt that shock me to the core.

Whatever was cruelly raging inside of me was caged under the sound of her voice.

"I'm fine." I heard her say.

She wasn't.

"Are you hurt?" My fingers let go of the doorknob and clench into a tight fist feeling heavy rout of my deficiencies.

"No."

"What happened?" I kept my feelings in check and out of my voice.

"A dog ran right in front of my car and I couldn't stop in time. So, I swerved to avoid him one of the tires exploded and I lost control and scratch the car with a light pole and... I don't know how to change a tire."