Six: Secretary

You were standing in front of a luxury apartment building brimming in the noon's sunlight. One last time, you turned around to see Celty's black motorcycle scooting down the road. When it disappeared completely from your sight, your eyes wandered back to the building's facade. A pleasant puff of cold air greeted you as you entered the block. Waiting for the elevator, you repeated the guides which Shinra had given you before you left his house. Everybody would say that Izaya was an extremely dangerous person with no morals whatsoever. But, from what you've heard, he was Shinra's friend. Could he be really this awful then?

A beep signalising the arrival of the elevator woke you up from your thoughts.

You got off on the seventh floor and made your way towards Izaya's flat according to Shinra's instructions. Apparently, the guy's place was the only one which lacked a nameplate. As you found the right door, you inhaled deeply, trying to overcome the sudden inflow of nervousness. You were slowly lifting your hand, ready to knock, when a loud rustle on the other side of the door made you freeze. You could hear a voice of an enraged woman, then a sound of oncoming steps. The door opened with such an impetus that you had to jump back in order to avoid being crashed by it.

In front of you was standing a tall, brown haired woman wearing a green turtleneck. Her full of contempt eyes locked on you startled figure.

"So you're the new victim of this jerk?," she said, her voice devoid of any emotion. "I don't know you, but let me give you a piece of advice. Run away while you can," with these last words, she turned on her heel and made her way towards the elevator. Your eyes followed her figure unwittingly until she disappeared from your sight.

"Now, wasn't that a bit rude?," you heard another voice coming from the inside of the flat. As you turned around, you saw a fragile-looking man with black hair and brown eyes tinted with a dark hue of red. He was wearing a plain black v-neck shirt and pants of the corresponding colour. Even though a light smile was drawing on his face. Seeing him, you couldn't help but take on a cautious stance. There was something in this man which made you feel uneasy. His eyes, his voice, the way he was walking - they all seemed to be laced with some ulterior motives, the nature of which you couldn't guess.

Seeing your tense expression, Izaya let out a quiet laugh.

"Calm down, that woman has never liked me," he said and took a step back to let you in.

You gulped and entered the spacious room. The place was modern and tidy to the point that it looked nearly unused. The only signs of life could be seen on the huge desk, where a few piles of documents were waiting to be segregated. The guy pointed at the leather couch, which was standing in the centre of the room and bathing in the sunlight coming from a couple of large windows. You sat down obediently and so did the black-haired man.

"Good morning," you said, watching the mysterious guy closely. The nerves which you had previously felt vanished completely, substituted by wariness.

"[Name], isn't it?," he asked.

"Yes," you nodded. "I'm sure you've heard about my situation from Shinra".

"Honestly, there's no point in interviewing you," the guy smirked. "I'm sure you, more than anyone, know how underground works".

You let your eyes widen for a moment. Something wasn't right. He seemed to know too much.

"That's true," you replied slowly.

"But let me ask you," Izaya continued. "Do you know what my job is exactly?"

Your hesitation clearly showed on your face.

"I see," the guy said. "Let me explain. I'm an information broker, which means I buy and sell information. Generally speaking my main job is observing people. You wouldn't have any fixed range of responsibilities as my secretary, but I can guarantee you a more than satisfying payout. I'm sure you know that this job is not one of the safe ones".

"I don't care," you replied with an unwavering expression.

"Like I thought. So are sure you take this job?," he asked.

You were surprised.

"Yes, but aren't you supposed to ask me about my past experiences or something?"

Izaya smirked.

"You have recently come back from the U.S., where you've been studying medicine. You had spent your middle and high school at one of Kyoto's best medical schools, secretly working as an underground doctor. You've learnt medicine from Shingen Kishitani who'd adopted you after a mysterious fire of one of Ikebukuro's orphanages. The official cause of the fire was a broken cable, however this theory seems to be incomplete. You are the only survivor of the accident, since it happened on the day of your escape, during which you met Shinra. Fortunate, isn't it?" Izaya's voice was full of irony.

He barely finished talking when you jumped up from your seat. Not a trace of your previous wary expression could be seen. Your eyes lost the lively spark. They were cold and unwavering. You swiftly reached for the gun hiding in the inside pocket of your coat and aimed it at the guy in front of you. Izaya, however, was already on his feet, holding a pocket knife right before your nose.

"Well, well, well, that was fast," he commented, his mocking smile still stuck to his face. "You know, you shouldn't carry a gun if you're not willing to use it".

"Why do you assume I won't use it?," you hissed and tightened your grasp on the weapon.

"You surely wouldn't want Shinra to know this side of you," Izaya replied.

You cursed and slowly put the gun back into your pocket. With a deep sigh, you sat down and locked your eyes on the guy in front of you.

"How much do you know?," you asked when he also placed himself back on the couch.

"Who knows?," Izaya hummed.