Chapter 24: Don't Care (Flash Back)

Another week passed like seconds. D has started coming to school regularly but leaves the school before we could even hear the last ring of the bell. He has explained us all 'his friends' that jumping to a higher grade was what he wanted to do earlier but he couldn't bring himself to do. Somehow, now he had that strength within him so he did it and it wasn't because of that certain reason which everyone was concerned about or perhaps he was trying to soothe himself by his reasoning. Whatever was running in his mind it didn't prevent me from visiting him daily at his house.

I would talk about something random to which he would answer me disinterestedly. He made no effort to lead the conversation but made it sure to let it die but being myself, I was still clingy on him than ever before.

But not all conversations went boring. Yes, I agree to most of them be boring but not all. Sometimes, I would get to see a few glimpses of the brat, stealthily smiling at my dubious joke attempts and soon he would disappear again but I feel happy every time the brat reappears. It feels like progress in him but it also frightens me if he's turning into a split personality.

Ah! Never mind. I might sound crazy.

"Sally and Maraca I'll see you guys tomorrow!" I wave my hand at them and turn towards the street, leading to my home. Exiting the school premises refreshes up the mood sometimes. Well, mostly when it's exams period.

I heave a sigh of relief and tighten my grip on the straps of my bag and walk straight looking down on my shoes.

"Boo!" I surprise-punch at the person beside me on the face. "Owwhhhh..." They groan in pain. I cover my mouth in embarrassment for punching them suddenly, feeling guilty of my reflexes. Well, they should not have done that in the first place. humph!

"I'm really sorry. I'm so sorry Jamel, I didn't notice you." I try to look at his face to see the bruise but thank Almighty, I hadn't hit him that hard.

"I was expecting you to be scared... But of course, this is Sarah I was dealing with." He half smiles while caressing his jaw, probably to ease the tingling pain he might be feeling right now.

"I am sorry to disappoint you but my reflexes aren't that ordinary," I say, shrugging. "Are you alright?" I ask looking at his jaw where I just punched him.

"Yes, never been better before." He says, straightening up and lifts his head up like a soldier in command and a smile appears on my face.

"What were you doing behind me?" I question him, arching an eyebrow at him.

"Hello? This isn't the route to your home only?" He said while pointing straight to the road.

"Oh... Well, you shouldn't have done that you're lucky I was easy on you." I say, walking back towards my direction and he follows beside me.

"Wait you're saying you could've killed me if not the punch?" His eyes bemused.

"Yes it could have been something like that," I say, shrugging and he shakes his head.

"Remind me to never get on your bad side. EVER." He says, emphasizing the last word. We walk towards home, talking randomly while Jamel kept up our most of the conversation with some lame jokes although they weren't amusing at all, I had to pretend to laugh and to not make the situation awkward for him. At least the guy was trying his best to entertain me, I just couldn't tell him to stop.

These past days haven't been the same as before. It was like a hurricane came to the town, took up Mr. Adam with it and leaving behind a devastated wife and a child. My time which I mostly used to spend with him is now by myself.

All our friends are supportive of his decision. They encourage him and he's adjusting again slowly and calmly, taking each step patiently but the only difference is that he's taking it all alone. He's moving towards new people, he has made new friends in his class. Well, I call it progress but it saddens me at the same time, knowing that he isn't the same brat as before.

After he jumped a grade, I also communicated a bunch of new people knowing how secluded I've stayed all this time by staying in a circle with brat and fellows. Jamel is one of those new people whom I never talked to, never noticed and even never laid a second glance on. It's not like he seemed bad or something, it's just me who was always engrossed in my pretty little bubble. Knowing Jamel, he's a nice person and the time with him hasn't been bad either but it reminds me more and more of the time I've spent with him.

"Helloooo?" Jamel waves his hand in front of my face and I jolt back. "Penny for your thoughts?"

"Uh... No, it's nothing." I hesitantly shake my head.

"Well then... I'll see you tomorrow, my home's that way." He points to the street on the other side. I nod in response and he walks to his direction and I wave my hand to his retreating figure, still absent to the reality.

~~~

I enter his house. Mrs. Adam smiles at me and nods her head for me to move to his room. I walk towards his room and knock on the door even though the door was open but still, I did not want to just walk in and disturb his private moment.

"Since when have you gotten those manners?" He asks, sitting on his bed with an eyebrow arched up. I frown at him while walking in and plop on the small chair in his room. He stares at me with a book in his hand.

"Since you ditched me," I say, crossing my arms.

"But you got yourself new friends right," he says, looking back into his book, ignoring my stare.

"You made quite good friends yourself too," I answered, hitting his words back at him.

"Better than Jamel you can say," he says, flipping through the pages of his book.

OH! So he knows, Hah! Good for him. He must know that if he can't be with me, I've more people around me. Humph!

"Oh, so you know him already. Good thing, I wouldn't need to introduce him to you." I grin, slyly at him.

"Yeah? but you should meet Maggie." He says, looking up at me and clasping his hands together on his now closed book on his lap, giving a satisfied look. "Oppsss I'm so used to her nick. Her name's Margaret." He fires me back with the same grin.

Why you little brat! You just made a friend and even nicknamed her you BRAT!

"Umm... I don't know if I can meet her. I am so busy with the midterms besides Jamel is always hanging around. I'll see if I could make-" He cuts me off.

"Perfect! You can bring him too with you." I blink my eyes at him. What's happening here?

"Sure!" I try to curve my face with a smile but trust me it wasn't ever hard than it is right now. "Oh! It's 4 o'clock already I should head home now." I say, looking at the bedside table clock and rise up from my seat to leave the room.

"Yes, see you tomorrow. I wonder what Maggie might be doing right now," he says, looking back at the book in his hands. I glare at him at the mention of Margarita, Magneta or whatever it was. I stomp out of his room. Heading out of his room I saw Mrs. Adam sitting in front of me on the wooden chair in the living room. She was looking at me hesitantly.

"GOOD DAY MRS. ADAM!" I didn't greet but yelled at her to which she seemed quite shaken.

Oh my, I'm so rude.

With a confused nod of the head, I leave their house and slam the door shut behind me.

Oh my, I'm being very rude now.

.

.

.

Well, do hell I care. It's because of you brat!