Pink Petals

They stood in line, waiting to reach the stall to order some food. Hitoshi whipped around and faced [Y/N], who was standing behind him. He grinned widely at her and placed his hands on her shoulder. "What do you want to eat?" he asked, pointing at the signs that were hanging in the stall.

     She looked up and peered at the words that were written on the sign. There were lots of corn and apple related things. She wasn't sure what she wanted. "I guess a corn dog and some apple cider....?" she told him hesitantly. He nodded and gave her a thumbs up.

     "I'll order and pay for it. You should just go find a table for us," he said, giving her a gentle push out of the line. She did as he told her to and wandered around to find an open table that wasn't so far from the stall. She sat down on it and waited patiently for Hitoshi to grab their food.

     It took him a while, but he finally got the food and came back to her. He handed her the corn dog and the cider and sat down across from her. She eyed the food that he had. He had bought nothing for himself. She thanked him and then took a bite out of the corn dog. She raised her eyebrows at the taste of it. It tasted different....not in a bad way. It was just something she had never tried before. She then took a sip the cider. It was sweet and sour and had an acidic taste. It burned as it went down her throat....but it was good.

     As they—she ate her food, they sat in silence. Hitoshi was only sitting there, staring at her while she ate. It made her feel a bit flustered.

     Finally, she decided to break the silence. It was unnerving to her that he wasn't talking much. Usually at school he would. "Why didn't you get food for yourself?" she questioned him.

     He blinked as if she had snapped him out of his trance. "Oh....I wasn't feeling that hungry," he responded. He straightened up his posture and cleared his throat. "Anyway, how does it taste?"

     "It tastes really unusual, but it's not bad," she commented.

      "Hmm...I should've brought you here during the fall," he pouted. "The cider would've tasted much better."

     She sipped on the cider some more and didn't reply. He also didn't say anything more and continued to stare at her. Feeling awkward one again, she let her eyes drift off to the scene around them. Spring was arriving soon and everything looked really beautiful to her. Now that she allowed herself to feel emotions, she was paying attention more on the scenery around her. It was as if her eyes on the world changed. Everything looked different from before....it was less barren...less dead...less ugly.

     A soft breeze passed through her and she could see some pink petals from a nearby plant fly in the air. She watched them and then spotted some that landed on Hitoshi's purple hair. He was already handsome, but those petals made him look gorgeous; something from a dream.

     Instinctively, she got up from the chair she was sitting on and leaned over towards him. He furrowed his forehead at her actions, but dropped his jaw when she touched his hair.

     Her slender fingers went through his soft, untamed hair. She picked the petals from his hair and pulled her hand back. Now that she felt his hair, she wanted to never stop touching his hair. The feel of it made her fingers tingle and her heart to pound.

     She hastily sat back down and put her hands in her lap. She lowered her eyes in embarrassment. Why the hell did she do that?

     Before she could think of a way to apologize to him without embarrassing herself any further, he beat her to it. "Thank you."

     Yes, spring has arrived indeed....especially in her cold, dark heart.