Chapter 42

It was that wonderful time of the year, where everything is coated in white

And the weeks before, Emery was consumed in the throes of heartbreak, grief and self-condemnation.

But after sleepless nights of internal screaming and scrambling to pick up the broken pieces of what was left of the past, she was ready to let it all go.

However, something strange happened yesterday which had Emery questioning the true extent of the contract she signed with a certain man months ago.

And if she would ever be free of him.

After breakfast, Emery had drove to the nearest ATM to withdraw some money as Christopher's birthday was forthcoming, and she wanted to surprise her brother-who was out on a weekend vacation with the Hayes.

Once done with her transaction, Emery accepted her receipt and checked her balance. And that was when she saw the money remaining in her account.

At first, Emery scanned the busy streets to make sure no one was spying on her-just in case this turned up to be a prank or something of that sort, and glanced back at the ATM.

And staring back at her was a sum of $43,110.0000

Jesus

Taken by surprise, Emery had quickly dug into the pocket of her jacket for her phone and had checked her messages. And sure enough, there was a bank alert of $42,000.0000 sent to her account the previous eve.

Baffled, Emery had walked into the bank for inquiries and after a word with a teller, she was assured that the money was indeed sent to her account from a private account.

However, since her status has changed, Emery could only make the withdrawal by showing documents that verifies her maiden name and her husband's surname.

Excuse me?

Completely struck dumb by the lady's words, Emery was stupefied in the queue for minutes.

Ma'am, I will need your ID and driving license to verify your identity, and also your marriage certificate to save this new changes per our banking policies.

Wait... no no... you've got this wrong, there must be some sort of a misunderstanding here.

Mrs. Dekker, according to our policies, we give out customer identification numbers to customers who have changed their names due to one reason or another, and we'll definitely send you one in the course of the month but at the moment, our safeguarding initiatives does not allow you to withdraw unless you show proof of-

Mrs. Dekker? God, what are you even talking about?

After correcting the lady behind the counter three times that her name was actually Emery Hamilton and not Emery Dekker as it was being shown in their system, Emery was asked to see the manager for further action since there had been a misunderstanding where her status was concerned.