Chapter Forty Three

He tightened his hand on mine and we started walking again. Down a short path and onto another near the road. Only a short way down there was a split onto a stepping stone trail, leading to an arching, open gate.

My eyes widened; it looked like we were about to go into a fairy tale. The gate had small rough brown vines intertwining over the top of it and down the sides. The color of the wood was light blue, and the flaking of the paint made it look charming rather than shabby.

"What kind of plants are these?" I asked.

"Grapes."

"What? Grapes grow in backyards?"

"Evidently," he said with a smile. "They're Aryll's favorite..." Link put a hand to the wood. "She built this arbor."

"It's so pretty..." I pressed my hand beside his and took in the feeling of the rough wood and sharp paint flakes. Moss clung to wood and grapevine alike, lending a softness to the harsh material.

I had just turned to take my first step into the woods when the sound of tires crushing gravel took my attention to the road. Then I saw the car. The car that instantly made my heart skip and my face decided that it was time for crying. It was their car. It was them. I practically ran into the road, but Link grabbed me before I could get myself run over.

It stopped beside us, and a flurry of red consumed my vision as my best friend tore out of the back seat and flung herself toward me. The car then continued down the road without one of its passengers.

Link wisely took several evasive steps back, which thankfully saved him from being knocked unconscious by my feet as Urbosa picked me up and twirled me around.

"Urbosa!" I said breathlessly, right before she set me back on the ground which continued to spin around me.

"Little bird..." she said with so much love it made my heart swell, then she moved her hands to my face and squished it. "So!? What's the idea of sending me only three words this morning!"

I tried to puff out my cheeks but it was impossible with her pressing against them. "I knew I'd see you today!"

"And I'm here! So what happened?!"

Link regained the distance he'd surrendered. "You knew she was coming?" he asked.

I turned to him, but Urbosa pulled my face back toward her. I giggled and grabbed at her hands. "She told me yesterday morning that you all were related."

"A secret spoiled before it's time," he said with a dramatic sigh.

"Oh yeah? Is that why you never told her?"

He folded his arms. "You didn't tell her either."

Urbosa dropped her hands on my shoulders and pulled me into her. "I wanted her to make her own judgments on you."

He smirked. "That's what I wanted too."

Urbosa smiled wide. "And? How did it go for you?"

I grinned as I pulled away from her and she looked at me. "Well... You were right."

"Oh, don't start that again!"

Link held out his hand to me and I took it. Urbosa let go and I leaned against him as he said, "We're officially together now."

"Goddess, obviously." Urbosa waved her hand. "Are you going to tell me how it happened?"

"Well..." I trailed off as I tried to gather up the details. "I'd kinda had a panic moment at dinner last night, and I told him I'd explain it, so we went out to the gazebo and... After talking about that, one word led to another and I sort of said... something about Nayru and he caught it and... well, then I tripped backward because I'm a fail and-"

"You're not a fail, there was ice."

I waved a hand. "And then heartfelt things were said and... and..." Heat built up in my cheeks.

"And I kissed her," Link said, sounding a bit disinterested despite the red on his cheeks. He didn't seem as excited as I was to let Urbosa in on the details.

"And then?"

"And then there were compliments and confessions and more kissing," I said a little breathlessly.

"Before Mid interrupted us and we had to go back inside."

Urbosa chuckled. "Of course." She turned her sharp eyes to me. "There will be more in-depth explanations later," she said.

I sighed through my nose, but I was smiling. "I'm sure there will be."

"In the meantime..." She raised an eyebrow. "Were you headed to the hangout spot?"

Link nodded.

"What for?"

"To show it to her. And I thought a walk would be nice."

She squinted. "In the cold?"

"I like it..." I said.

"Of course you would, it's rebellion," she said as she ruffled my hair.

"I missed you..." I looked up at her as a renewed lightness entered my eyes. "Will you come with us?"

Urbosa tilted her head to the side. "I'm sure lover boy over here would prefer to be alone with you."

I looked over at said blushing 'lover boy,' then back to my friend. "Please?" I bit my lip. "You could help me..." I swallowed and lowered my voice a little. "...help me... to tell him."

She considered me and then looked at Link, then back to me. "I think you can do it on your own, Zel."

I bit my lip again as my stomach tightened. "But-"

Link interrupted. "Don't make her feel like she has to, Urbosa."

"Doesn't she?" She folded her arms. "If she doesn't tell you now, how will you know how to help her if something happens?"

I pressed my lips together for a moment. "Please Urbosa? Just... just come for support?"

Link slipped his hand into mine. "I don't mind you coming along, Bosa."

Urbosa sighed. "Alright, but I won't be doing all the talking."

Relief washed over me, but then it hit the wall of building anxieties. "Let's get going," I said before I could lose my nerve.

Link pulled me along by our intertwined fingers, and I entered the woods for the first time.