Chapter Forty Four

It was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Cool-toned light faded through a mix of evergreen and deciduous trees. Ferns and underbrush faded into the distance.

As we walked I put a little too much attention into my surroundings rather than where I was going. It was no surprise when I tripped, and that both Link and Urbosa were ready to catch me. Even so, I elected to enjoy the sights as much as possible. I would've liked to come back here someday... It would be gorgeous in the spring and the summer.

Something turned sour in my stomach. Can I even think about spring? Can I even anticipate where I'll be in only a few months?

"We're going to cross that creek," Link said.

I zoned back in and narrowed my eyes. "You want me to do what now?"

"It's not difficult. Just a jump from one rock to another, then to the other side."

"... Jump. I don't think I've ever had to do that with any sort of accuracy, ever."

"Are you up for it?"

I nodded with only a little hesitation. When my two people were with me, I could do anything.

"It'll be worth it, I promise."

I chuckled. "Can't wait."

The creek was partially hidden by a slight slope. Yeah... I can do this...

Link went first, still holding my hand, and he didn't let it go as he stepped onto the first rock. A jump and hop later, and we were all on the other side. 

"That wasn't so bad..."

"It's worse in the spring because it rains a lot. The creek gets higher, so you have to go to the bridge further down. Or just go for it like I do and sometimes end up in the water."

I could see that. "So where's this pretty place?"

He pulled me along the small path. It had probably been made by the family over the years. That brought to my mind the question of how long he had lived there. He and Aryll were adopted but I didn't know at what age. How long had Link lived with Impa at the coffee shop?

I was about to overthink it when I shook my head. If I wanted to know I could just ask him.

But right now his shoulders were relaxed, and his fingers pulling against mine were loose. The smile on his face when he glanced back at me was small, but it was a million times more meaningful than a conscious smile. It made me happy to see him this way. Completely at ease... I hadn't known him for very long, but... we were together now. Part of that smile belonged to me. Was because of me.

"Would you close your eyes?" Link asked.

I raised an eyebrow. "You think that's wise?"

"Maybe not... But we're here to catch you."

I shrugged. "I do trust you." I held out my other hand, which Urbosa took, and I closed my eyes. "But my falling abilities are not to be underestimated."

They pulled and I shuffled forward. It wasn't long before I heard a relieved sigh from him. Then, after only a few more steps he moved behind me and put his arms around my waist. "Okay, open your eyes."

I did, and my mouth dropped open as I let out a quiet, "oh..."

In front of me was a clearing, and inside were two animals standing near the middle. 

"I've never seen deer before..."

"Figured not..." he replied softly with his head on my shoulder. "I'd hoped they'd be here."

I stared and stared at the new in front of me. In my position, given my life experience, almost everything was new. But this... even with my vast vocabulary, majestic was the only thing I could think of. A male and a female stood a good distance apart. The doe had her head down, rummaging around for something green. The male stood tall and alert, his tiny little antler knobs the only thing differentiating him from the other. 

I didn't dare to move as it turned toward us and looked right at me. I was stiff and unsure; should I feel scared or just give in to the awe of having that animal's attention?

"They're skittish," Link whispered.

"Somehow they're bigger than I thought."

"They look kinda small on a screen," Urbosa said, and I could hear the smirk.

The doe lifted her head and noticed us. She stamped one of her hooves into the ground then slowly walked to the edge of the clearing. There she stayed as the male joined her.

Link took my hand again.

"But what about them?" I asked as he led me into the clearing.

"They like this place, so they may stick around the edge for a while, but they won't come any closer to us."

I nodded, then finally took my eyes off of them. I focused on another inspiring sight. A huge tree trunk that ten people couldn't have wrapped their arms around. My eyes gleamed as I looked at it. Several trees grew out of the broken trunk, and ferns and huckleberries dotted the sides. "I've never seen anything like this..."

"When Aryll and I found it, we knew we'd found our clearing."

My eyes flicked to the base of the trunk. There were two benches placed several yards away, and a hole lined with stones in the ground. "Fire pit?" I asked.

He nodded. "We used to spend a lot of nights out here."

The nostalgia in his voice made me happy and sad at the same time. It sounded like he'd had a very nice life here... Regardless of anything else, he'd made a family here. He'd made happy memories, despite his past.

I wished that I could say the same. Wished that I could have grown up here. Hoped that maybe... maybe I would become a part of this, somehow.

Resolve slowly filled my mind and spread outward. I curled my free hand into a fist. I could. I would. I had to.

Urbosa smiled and put her hands on my shoulders. "Let's go sit down."

We made our way to the old benches, and they both sat while I remained standing. "I'm not sure where I should start," I admitted.

"The beginning," Urbosa replied. "Start with before your father became governor."

So I did. And to Link's credit, he didn't interrupt me.