Chapter Forty Seven

We stayed in the clearing for a while longer. I eventually got up to explore for the purpose of distracting myself. We'd made our decisions... now hopefully I could enjoy the opportunity we had for a nice holiday.

I went to the trunk in the center, lightly brushing my fingers against it as I walked. It really was incredible. To know that this tree must have been hundreds of years old before it had died, yet it still had life flourishing within it.

Link was behind me then and I turned to look at him. With my eyes downcast, I bit the inside of my cheek and then said, "I'm sorry it took me a month to tell you everything."

His hand brushed against mine. "A month is no time at all for the story you had to tell."

I slipped my fingers between his, then leaned back into him.

He made a contented sigh and brought his arms around me.

I rested against him for a minute. Casual, cozy, comfortable. "Link... is it..." I closed my eyes. "Is it ridiculous that I..." Yes. Yes, it really is.

He tilted his head to the side. "That you what?"

I brought my free hand to my red face. "I, uh..."

"Oh, something embarrassing?" he said with a smile. "Do continue."

I shook my head and laughed. "Never mind."

"Don't do that to me, little bird."

I opened my eyes. "Oh no, only Urbosa and Ursa can call me that."

He grinned. "l don't know about that."

I bit my lip. "You-" I stopped and chuckled. "I guess we'll see."

He poked me on the nose, and I scrunched it up. "So what were you going to say?"

I clicked my teeth. "I... just..." I sighed. "I'm very grateful to have met you."

"I thank the Three that we met," he said as he moved his hand to my waist. "But that's not what you were going to say."

I puffed out my cheeks. "What I decide not to say is my choice."

He smiled as he turned me around so I could see the sly grin take over his face. "Yes... but bugging you until you relent is mine."

I rolled my eyes. "Well, good luck, I'm stubborn."

I hadn't really realized how close we were, and then he moved closer, the hand on my waist moving to the trunk behind me. "And I'm not?"

I shrugged, even as my face lit up like fire. He was really good at distracting me. "How should I know? A month is no time at all."

"You knew what I meant when I said that." His lips pressed against my nose. "And it was not to lessen the worth of our time together."

"So... you think a month is long enough?"

"To what?"

I reached my hand up behind his neck and pulled. He did not resist and his lips pressed against mine. So warm out here in the cold of winter. My back was in the tree so I couldn't lean away; I had to plant my hands on his chest and push. "For me to..." I bit my lip, "fall in love with you."

Link's eyes widened. "You-" his mouth hung open as his words died. "Is that what you thought was ridiculous?"

I tactfully avoided meeting his eyes.

"You tried to never mind your way out of saying I love you?" he asked, laughter following his words.

I punched him in the side. "Don't laugh right now you jerk!" I said, but one escaped me too.

"I'm sorry," he said, lowering his face to press his forehead to mine. He chuckled again. "It isn't ridiculous. Even if it was, I'd be ridiculous right there with you."

I moved back and stared. "You'd... what?" A broad smile cut off any more words. His smile. On my mouth. His hands in my hair and mine around the back of his neck.

I sighed, leaning into a fern behind me. "We are ridiculous..."

"And there is nothing wrong with that," he said, and then nuzzled his cold nose against mine.

"No... I suppose there isn't," I replied with a smile. He was right. We could decide for ourselves how long it should take for someone to fall in love. For me, it had only been a month. Really... It had only been one week. That final week... two days.

He kissed me again, and when he drew back, his smile encompassed his entire face. "I love you too, Zelda."

~*~

Urbosa had been sitting patiently on the bench for us to come back from the other side of the tree. When we did round it, I felt a healthy heap of embarrassment, as well as guilt, for leaving her by herself in the cold. But she said nothing to mock our 'moment.'

To the contrary, she was actually grinning at me. "Shall we head home?"