Chapter Fifty One

-- Sunday, December 24th, Christmas Eve --

Morning came all too soon... but I had zero desire to actually wake up at all. Link, on the other hand, was trained differently than me. But he made sure that he was there when I woke up.

To see him first thing in the morning made me happier than I thought was possible. His fingers were intertwined with mine, although it was the opposite hand now, and his other hand rested on my arm.

"Morning, little bird."

I yawned instead of glaring at him for using the nickname. I didn't actually mind him calling me that... I just wasn't used to it. Yet.

"I made breakfast..."

I blinked a few times and a small smile edged my lips. "Of course you did..."

He moved to pull me from under the covers, but I pulled back. He hadn't expected that so he nearly face planted on the comforter. "Come on Zel, you don't want to waste any more time asleep."

"Oh?" I mumbled with a smirk and succeeded in pulling him off balance again. I looked at the clock, which told me I still had two hours before the deadline. Then my cheeks turned red. "Did... you really ask me to marry you last night?"

"I did..."

I hummed and nodded, throwing my free arm over my eyes. "Good... That could have easily been just a ridiculous dream..."

He abandoned trying to pull me out of the bed and instead pulled the covers off. I groaned but let him help me to my feet.

"Breakfast," he said.

I smiled. "And coffee?"

"Of course, who do you think I am?"

"My fiancé... apparently..."

Link chuckled as we walked into the kitchen. "This is crazy, isn't it..." he sighed. "How far we've come."

"This all started as a deal for free coffee... Now we're planning to blackmail the governor of Hyrule in order to maintain that free coffee for the rest of my life..."

"If that ain't raising the stakes in a deal, I don't know what is..." Link laughed.

I smirked. "You know I'm not marrying you for the free coffee."

"But it is a part of the deal."

"I won't deny it's an excellent bonus," I said as I took a drink.

We talked our way through the next hour, then moved to the couch as we waited for the time I would have to leave.

"Are you scared?" he asked gently.

"Yes," I replied honestly. "But I know that I can do this. I will. I've more a reason to fight now than ever before."

He pressed his hands to mine. "I'm glad that I can be a part of that. Although I do wish forgoing the fighting entirely was an option..."

"I wish it was too... But there isn't any other way." I bit the inside of my lip. "I am terrified... but I'm also eager for it to be over."

"It'll all be over by tomorrow, and we'll take life from there."

"We'll take life from there..."

~*~

Saying goodbye took awhile because neither of us wanted to say it. That kiss could have been my last. Maybe I'd never hug him again. Maybe I'd never see him again. If I was trapped - or if my parents had him and Urbosa killed - if Link was right and my father killed me... Uncertainty made saying goodbye impossible.

So I didn't say goodbye.

"I love you," I said while our arms were wrapped around each other. "I'll see you soon."

"I love you..." he whispered, his hands tight around my shirt at my waist. "... See you soon."

It was another full minute before he let go. Thank Hylia he did because I don't think I ever would have.

We didn't say anything else. I turned and walked out the front door of the apartment and I didn't look back. If I had, I wouldn't have been able to look forward again.

I took a roundabout route back to my apartment complex, my purse hitting against my side with every step. It was the only thing I was taking back with me.

Then I was there, and he was waiting for me. My greeting was a simple glare, which he met with a pleased smirk.

"Punctual as ever," he said.

Yes. Punctual because if I was ever late there would be heavy consequences and he full well knew that, so now I had to fight against the growing desire to deck him. Which I knew I really shouldn't. Not that I'd even land the hit.

I said nothing, only glaring until, for the sake of time, he relented and called the car over.

He had gotten a rise out of me last night, I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of doing it again. I opened my own door and got inside before he could do it for me. Before I could give in to the urge to slam his hand in the doorframe.

It was weird to me how different this felt than usual. I hated Cole, but I had also been afraid of him too. Now all I felt was anger, and I let that spread. I'd need it.

It was a long drive back to First.

Every second I further plotted and planned. I knew his office. He never changed anything, ever. After all, whatever he did was perfect the first time. I pieced together everything I had ever known. Everything he'd taught me. He was a fool for thinking I'd never use that against him.

Well... I probably wouldn't have. Not without them.

We arrived, and I didn't look up as we passed through the gates. I didn't need to see them. The car stopped right next to the front steps. I balled my fists for a moment, silently reassured myself, then left the car and went up the stairs. Cole followed close behind me. Like a dog biting at heels.

My parents weren't waiting for me, which didn't entirely surprise me but I was relieved all the same. "I'm to wait upon his convenience, as usual?" I asked.

Cole smirked as an answer and escorted me to my room. "I'll be back... upon his convenience."

Then I was alone. I used to rejoice in being alone. Used to know that there was safety only in solitude.

Now I just missed my family.

I studied the room and found nothing different. I'd left it so long ago... and yet it had only been one month.

I took a deep breath. It was time to begin.

I needed to change, and I needed to shower too. I doubted Cole would 'conveniently' come back so quickly. He'd want me to stew in fear for as long as possible. But I wouldn't. I wasn't afraid of him anymore.

And I wouldn't let my fear of my father stop me from saving my friends.