Chapter Fifty Two

I was almost finished blow drying my hair when the knock came at my door. I had expected a little more time... "Yes?" I asked as I opened the door to see a servant.

"Mr. Chance has asked I retrieve you for an audience with your father."

I almost chuckled. Mr. Chance? It was Cole's last name; or what he said it was anyway. I highly doubted he was born Cole Chance.

Fat chance.

"Thank you," I said and closed the door behind me. "I know the way to the main room."

"He has asked you to meet him in his study." The servant bowed.

I nodded and started walking. That was good, it meant I could familiarize myself with the room before going back tonight. I counted every step there. I'd distract myself with my mission. I would no longer be subject to him. I would fake my complacency. He would see exactly what he wanted to see.

I noted that the door had no lock, and there were no cameras in the hall. There weren't any cameras anywhere, actually, except outside of the house. If anyone was already in the house, my father expected them not to dare defy him.

It would work to my advantage.

I knocked on the large door and didn't have to wait long before he called for it to be opened. I stepped into the room and took it all in for a single moment before focusing on the governor.

"Zelda, my daughter, it is good that you are home. I am glad you delayed no further." His back was straight and stiff, and his hands were behind his back. Great... he was annoyed already.

I bowed, summoning up the exact voice I was expected to use. "I am sorry, father." I didn't have to make any excuses. Cole had already fed them to him. Neither of us wanted him to know the truth. It would have only complicated things. I kept my head down until he started speaking again.

The governor sniffed, another sign of disapproval. "We are to have a gala this evening. I wish for you to sing during the main event and to meet with guests."

All about his image. Squash any further rumors that we weren't a big happy family. But sing... I'd had barely sang in months... I couldn't argue though, I'd have to figure it out. "What do you wish for me to sing?"

"The Goddess Ballad," he replied.

Not exactly a Christmas song, but I wasn't surprised.

"Yes, father."

He turned his back to me and looked out the window, so I took that chance to gather any more information that I could.

His desk drawers probably didn't have anything of value... And all the worst would be in his safe. If he'd changed the password in the last year I'd have a problem... But I doubted it.

... if he had, I'd need to rifle through all the locked drawers. The keys to them were 'hidden' in the back of the top drawer.

I just hoped nothing had changed.

My problem at hand was getting back here without anyone noticing me and having enough time to gather my pictures, send them to Link and Urbosa, and then high tail it out of the mansion.

Let alone fulfill the plan when it came to my mother.

"You are dismissed, as you will need to practice. We will discuss what you have learned in your absence tomorrow."

Of course I wasn't getting out of that. Except I wouldn't be here tomorrow. I bowed again and left the room, then stuck my now trembling hands into my pockets.

I really needed to practice. The Goddess Ballad was to be sung in ancient Hylian. Not that anyone but my father would hear any linguistic mistakes; it was still him I had to impress.

So I retired quickly to my room and started to sing.

~*~

My dress felt awful. It was pretty but tight. I'd... definitely gained some weight in the last month. Not much, but my formal clothes tended to go towards the tighter side. A not so subtle note from my father.

A servant led me to the main hall, and I walked down the stairs.

My mother was waiting at the bottom alone. I walked up to her and wasted no chance to give her a hug before anyone else could appear. I leaned back quickly to see her surprised face.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I'm so sorry I treated you coldly. I will make it up to you." I took a quick breath, my pulse thundering. "Check... check behind the plant at the end of the east hall the moment you wake up tomorrow." I bit my lip. "Before anything else."

The shock soon disappeared. She closed her mouth and nodded once, knowing that we had no time for questions she turned formally back toward the stairs to await my father.

I took a steadying breath and did the same.

One step down.

I was grateful to be in the back of the car on the way to the gala. I did not have to interact with anyone. I mentally rehearsed my song, and my plans to break into his office.

~*~

The big ol party was uneventful. I slid back into my role as the daughter of the governor and sweet talked whoever dared to engage with me.

I sang my song, and people applauded. My father among them--even though I knew he'd heard my two mistakes in the lyrics. Subtle as they were...

We stayed late at the gala, just as I'd hoped. The later the better.

Then we were on our way home... And I got to hear how wonderful my song could have been. Thankfully there was no mention of what I'd 'learned' while I'd been gone. It was too late into the night for that. I excused myself on account of my exhaustion and let the servant escort me to my room. Let them tell my father I was safely tucked away.

I waited for all the sounds to cease. When even the servants and guards had retired to their beds and their late night posts. Then I crept out of my room and began the dangerous part of my mission.