Chapter Fifty Three

All remained quiet as I opened his office door, slipped inside, and shut it softly behind me.

I stood still for a moment then crept forward and wasted no time in going for the safe. The combination was his wedding date. Not because of any love for my mother.

I had this under control. Everything was going fine.

The lock clicked and I held in a huge sigh of relief.

I reached into the back of the safe, pulled out something heavy, then reached back in for another. Then... I had a gun in my hand and one on the floor.

I didn't like how it felt... but it would keep me safe. I set it very gently beside me as I began.

I worked by the light of my phone as I took out several trays of documents and began to take pictures of them, hoping that the flash on my camera couldn't be noticed through the windows or under the door. I took picture after picture, every second passing making me more and more terrified.

Terrified that maybe I'd have to play chicken with a firearm. That maybe Cole would find me and not care that my father would want me alive. Maybe he'd shoot me, and I wouldn't die. Maybe--

I gritted my teeth. I had to focus. Just a few more files. A few more drawers.

Then that was it. I was finished. I put the safety back on the gun, then slipped both of them into my waistband to transport them unnoticed. Goddess, they were heavy... I put my phone in my pocket and slipped out of the office door.

I could feel the metal on my back. Such a stupid thing to do with a loaded gun, but I had no other choice. Just walk carefully... and don't shoot yourself in the leg.

First thing first... drop off what I promised my mother, then get to my room and send the pictures. I walked calmly to the end of the east hall and leaned one of the guns on the wall behind the plant's pot. It shouldn't be found before my mother checked.

I didn't know what she would use it for... I hoped she'd never have to use it. I hoped everything would work out as I'd planned.

Then I went back to my room.

... I didn't make it all the way there.

I was in the main hall when Cole found me. "Well, well, well... is the princess so tired of being home already?"

I turned slowly to face him. He looked casual, but I knew he was just itching to give me more trouble than he thought I deserved. Seeing as I'd just gathered evidence to blackmail his boss, and left a gun for his wife to find... I did actually deserve it for once.

"I'm not running away."

"Then why are you at the front doors dressed to leave?"

"I wanted to take a walk."

Cole smirked. "Oh, yes. How rude of me to doubt." He closed the distance between us and grabbed my wrists before I could go for the gun he had no idea I had.

"Let me go!" I growled, yanking my wrists against his grip.

He didn't let go, he smiled. "I think I'll take you straight to your father and let him deal with you." A glimmer entered his eyes, despite the only light coming from the moon through the windows on the ceiling.

I pulled again, hard, but all that did was hurt. "You bastard let me go!" I kicked at his legs in the faint light.

He let go of one of my wrists and struck me hard on the jaw.

Despite the stars I saw, he'd made a mistake to let one of my hands go.

I didn't get to take that opportunity, however, because a loud voice interrupted us. "What's going on." The commanding tone also sounded bored. How very typical.

We both froze at it anyway. Cole looked toward my father but I couldn't.

This wasn't... going to plan.