Chapter Fifty Four

He dropped my other hand and bowed. "Milord, I have just caught your daughter attempting to sneak out of the house."

"But I wasn't-" three words, three too many. I shut my mouth before I could do any more damage.

Why was I this afraid of him when I had the power right now.

"Zelda..."

I took several steps back and shook my head. He wouldn't touch me. He'd never touch me again. I reached back and pulled out the gun. "You stay there!" I said as I pointed it at my father. "You stay right there."

For once, Cole wasn't smirking. Then he pulled out his own gun, but I didn't waiver my aim. I hoped he couldn't tell my safety was still on. Maybe he'd just shoot me.

My father raised a hand and lowered it towards Cole. "Put it down," he said, voice marked with empty dispassion which I knew personally meant he was about to tip over the edge.

At least I had wagered right. My father didn't want me dead. Yet. "You-" my breath caught and I had to focus on it for a few seconds. My entire body felt like it was shaking. My gun was still steady. "You are never to say my name again. You will never speak to me again. You will never see me again."

The governor stepped forward and I slid the safety off. I'd shoot the floor and bring the servants running if he dared take another step.

"Zel-"

"What did I just say!" I yelled and took my own step forward. "You had no idea what I was planning. I came back willingly because I knew it was the only way to be free of you. I've been through your safe. Your drawers. I've got evidence now of every dirty thing you've ever done, and I've sent it all off to be kept safe." A lie. A huge lie, but he believed it because his face was now the color of fire. A man with all the control in the world... Now having none.

"You-"

"Not a word," I interrupted calmly. "I have no desire to listen to another word out of your mouth for the rest of my life. Save for two. 'I understand.' Got it?"

He said nothing.

I took a breath. Oh goddess, don't crumble to pieces yet. You can do this. "If you don't want your entire empire to crumble around you, you will never hurt me, or my friends ever. Ever. If you go after my friend's business, I will ruin you. If you try anything against me, or my friends, I will ruin you." I raised my gun to aim between his eyes. Another stupid move, but it was a threatening sight. "And if you ever touch my mother again, you will die."

His eyes burned into me.

"If you kill me, someone else will ruin you with the information I gave them."

He ignored my command to not speak and said six cold words. "What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm blackmailing you, Governor Ronan. Do you understand?"

His nose tightened and his lip curled. "You can't-"

"I am. You are never to interfere with my life ever again. You will have nothing to do with me, or I will destroy you. Do you understand?"

He abandoned trying to 'remain calm' and roared, "You cannot-"

I fired a shot into the floor. We all flinched; it was so loud. And I'd ruined his flawless floor. "Do. You. Understand?"

He growled for a good while and then glared with coals instead of eyes. "... I... understand."

My legs almost gave out from under me. He'd actually said it... I didn't think he would. "Good, goodbye." It was a struggle to keep my voice steady and confident. I was so close to my breaking point. "See you never." I wasn't stupid enough to think that Cole wouldn't shoot me in the back, so I pointed the gun at him and told him to put it on the floor and kick it away.

He did so.

I turned and walked down the grand staircase, footsteps loud in the silence. Then I heard the faint shuffling of quiet steps, and I whirled around to see Cole had already gone after his gun. Then it was exactly what I'd feared.

A game of gun chicken.

"If I die-"

His laughter cut me off. "You won't. And then we'll deal with your friends," he sneered as a reply. "Did you really think you could get away with this?"

I tightened my hand around the gun. Could I shoot him? As much as I hated him... could I really pull the trigger and kill him?

A shot rang out and I flinched away, nearly dropping the gun as I barely kept myself from falling down a step.

"What are you-"

"Shut up, Ronan," my mother growled and then turned just enough to look at me. "Zelda, get out of here."

I didn't look to see if Cole had survived the shot. I didn't look at my father. I just did what my mom said... and I ran.

I was sobbing by the time I'd made it past the front gate. Exhaustion from everything brought me to my knees, but I forced myself back up and kept going. Kept going until I collapsed in front of Urbosa's shop.

The door opened and then Link was kneeling beside me so fast he must have hurt his knees on the pavement. I must have been an awful sight.

I didn't even know what time it was, but it was still dark.

"You made it..." he said, his arms wrapped tight around me. "You made it..."

I choked on another sob.