twenty-four

Queenie approached the trees in the middle of the square

Queenie approached the trees in the middle of the square. She coughed. The roots of the trees rose up and formed a birdcage elevator around her, which descended into the earth. She descended into the beautiful Art Nouveau French Ministry of Magic, its domed ceiling patterned with constellations. She approached reception.

"Bienvenue au Ministère des Affaires Magiques," the receptionist greeted.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what you just said at all - "

"Welcome to the French Ministry of Magic. What is your business, please?" the receptionist repeated.

Queenie spoke loudly and slowly. "I need to speak to Tina Goldstein. She's an American Auror working on a case here - "

The receptionist flicked through a few pages. "We have no Tina Goldstein here."

Queenie shook her head. "No, it's... I'm sorry there must be some sort of mistake. See, I know she's in Paris, she sent me a postcard. I brought it. I can show it to you. Maybe you can help me find her here?" Queenie reached for her suitcase, which fell open. She scrambled around on the floor, picking up her items and rummaging through the suitcase. "It's just in here. Oh - rabbits! If you can just wait one moment! I know it's in here somewhere. I definitely packed it. Where is it?"

As the receptionist gave a shrug, a genteel elderly lady crossed into the shot behind Queenie. She had a distinctive bag in her hands. She walked into the elevator - where Rosier was waiting. As the doors closed, the elderly lady transformed into Abernathy and he pulled out an elaborate box.

"He's going to be angry if Tarnovsky doesn't show up soon. He is getting antsy," Rosier muttered.

Abernathy sighed and fixed his cuffs and collar with one hand. "Relax," he spat. "Where Scamander goes, Tarnovsky follows."

Queenie stood sadly on the street, holding an umbrella. She did a double take. She thought she saw Newt and Jacob hurrying from one side street into another. She set off down the street, trotting in her haste to catch up with them. She was getting closer as she chose from a bewildering number of side alleys. She could now hear Jacob's thoughts.

"Jacob! Jacob?" she called out joyfully.

But he was gone. Exhausted and lonely, Queenie dropped down to the curb in the rain, deafened by the clamor of the thoughts of those in the crowd around her. It was all too much for her. Her umbrella dropped down and she clutched her head with her hands, grimacing and sobbing.

A mysterious figure held out an umbrella over her. Queenie looked up, puzzled.

"Madame? Tout va bien Madame?" Rosier asked.