Chapter Thirty Nine

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Thirty Nine

M E A N I N G F U L M I S T A K E S Chapter Thirty Nine

Everyone is acting the same. I'm included in the ring of worried people, although mine is a lot less dormant because of the rage that is blinding it.

I hate seeing my friend's pain, whether it's physically or mental. They have good hearts and don't deserve the circumstances that are in place because of me. Yet, no one has turned their blame my way.

"Like I've said a thousand times, I'm fine. I have Becky and Jake next to me right now." Hunter had held his promise about calling me whilst I am at school without him.

He'd heard about what happened to William after I messaged him, so he's frightened by Mia's childish behaviour that goes hand in hand with Noah. Amongst that, he was upset that such a private thing for William was made a mockery in school.

"I'm only worried something might happen and I won't be there." Hunter says over the phone, undoubtedly referencing more about Noah showing up than Mia's bullying. "I know you have Jake and Becky there, but I'll never forget the time you could've died because of Jake."

The accident. I also wouldn't forget, but unlike him I'm not mad at Jake. Yes- he had put me in a lot of danger, but he too was in that car. It wasn't his intention. He had a lot going on.

"That was under different circumstances." I can't help but laugh at the feud between them too. Jake is always terrified of my boyfriend, even after they tried to make up for everything.

"Besides the point." He states. "I'd go crazy without my Lollipops." This is said quietly, and I somehow can tell that he is smiling. I am too.

I laugh again. "You're such a dork." With one hand I manage to to zip my bag close so I can get ready for classes shortly.

"Hurry up." Jake drawls out and he leans against the gym bleachers. "You two have been on the phone almost the whole of lunch. Live in the moment Lolita. You'll see him when you're home."

Becky nods and puts down her sandwich she was gnawing on. She snatches my phone from my hand and presses it to her ear.

"Hey, Hunter!" She chirps loudly into it with a forced voice which makes both Jake and I curiously watch her. "It's Becky! Lolita is busy at the moment so she can't speak. Don't worry, you'll see her after school! Bye!"

With that she peels the phone away from her ear and ends the call. "That's one way to do it." Jake laughs and my mobile is tossed back to me. It's locked, and Hunter is gone.

"Miss Brown." Before any of us can say anything else, one of the Lacewood High teachers enters the gym and stands in front of us. We decided to eat our lunch here after practice instead of the cafeteria. It was a good attempt to avoid the crowd. "Coach wants to see you."