Chapter Fifty Six

"Thank you, Rin." 

"You're welcome Sensei!" she said before slipping away, Naruto watching after her with utter betrayal swimming in his eyes. How could she do this to him? He thought they had established trust, and now that trust is out the window and in the dirt.

"So. Naruto. Let's eat, I'm hungry." Minato said, putting a strong hand on his son's shoulder and steering him into the restaurant to a booth in the back, far away from curious ears and prying eyes.

The recently opened barbecue place looked exactly the same from when Naruto knew it, maybe a little newer but relatively similar. The same wooden walls with plain wallpaper, and the same padded wooden booths. The same black-wire grills in the center of all the tables.

Naruto sat in the plush booth and immediately picked up a menu before Minato even sat down. He spent the next several minutes pretending that he was having a really hard time picking what he wanted like he didn't already have a preference, all so he didn't have to face Minato. But unfortunately, that wouldn't work forever, it's just delaying the inevitable.

"Hello, welcome to Yakiniku Q, what is your order." the waiter drawled. He was one of those waiters that were probably around sixteen and hated his job and just life in general.

Naruto took his time setting the menu down, carefully closing it and annoying the kid who just wanted their order.

"Beef." he deadpanned. The teenager rolled his eyes and wrote it down before going back to the kitchen. Minato ordered the same thing.

Naruto finally looked at Minato who was almost, but not quite, glaring at him. The best way he could describe it is Minato was giving him a dad look. Not as bad as a mom look, but still not good.

Naruto waited for Minato to speak first, keeping quiet himself, and keeping his eyes clear of emotion.

Finally, Minato spoke. "Why have you been avoiding me?" he asked, suddenly sounding hurt. Naruto felt a rush of guilt flood through him, but as he met Minato's eyes he remembered all the reasons why he had.

Naruto didn't know what to say. He didn't really want to say it was because of guilt or fear. He wasn't about to admit it was his emotional weakness that held him back, that made him stand so far away. He couldn't say that, so he just told him the truth that was more factual, where he didn't have to confess his cowardice. "Obito isn't dead." he blurted.

Minato froze. His eyes widened and Naruto wanted to burn the hope that grew there for fear that is wasn't worth anything. "How. . . what?." he stopped for a minute - in which Naruto didn't explain anything - and composed himself. His eyes grew in intensity until they matched Naruto's, boring into his. "How," he commanded.

Naruto didn't answer right away, thinking of how-how to put this. "Have you ever heard of the Uchiha's Mangekyō Sharingan?" he asked, deciding that was probably the best way to start.

Minato's eyebrows furrowed at the unfamiliar word. He liked to think that he was fairly knowledgeable about the Leaf's clans and their Kekkei Genkai. But Mangekyo Sharingan. . . he shook his head. The Uchiha had always been very fond of their secrets meaning Minato didn't actually know much more about their kekkei Genkai than most.

Unsurprisingly, Naruto did. In fact, it would seem he knew more about the Uchiha blood limit than the Uchiha themselves. He explained the basics to Minato in a fast, low tone as not to be overheard, pausing only when the food came - the waiter suddenly much more polite, probably having realized who these men actually were - and then continuing on the same after the waiter left.