Chapter 20: Play It Cool

"Well, shall we make our way back?" Judging from Cain's usual sparkly expression, I had to warily assume that he did not hear Haizea's weird babbling.

Putting on a neutral smile, I replied. "Yes, we've kept them waiting for long enough."

As we made our way through the palace's long halls, Haizea and I filled the silence with idle chatter about our childish interests. Well, 'childish' in consideration to our mental age at least... I could tell that Haizea was itching to talk/tease about the otome game's male protagonists, but I unhesitatingly gave her arm a warning 'squeeze' whenever she turned the conversation in that direction. Cain was with us and I was also willing to bet that she wanted to gush about how gorgeous he was too.

How she managed to keep her previous life's memories to herself thus far is beyond me...

"His highness and the rest decided to keep themselves on a more private table just outside the hall where everyone had gathered." Cain informed as he escorted us.

Knowing the amount of attention those group of boys could gather, Haizea and I shrugged at those words with unsurprising expressions. "Must be hard for those pre- I mean, it must be hard for them to always have to handle that kind of attention when they're that popular." Haizea flinched from one of my 'warnings', hence why her sentence was interrupted.

Cain could only agree to Haizea's words with a wry smile.

Once we made it back to the hall where all the noble children were gathered, we slowly progressed through the crowd towards a certain pair of ornate glass doors. With a nod to the two knights standing by each door, the entrance was opened, and Cain urged us forward with a gentlemanly gesture. As we passed through, the previously cool air changed to a warmer and humid feeling.

Haizea and I found ourselves in a greenhouse. But this place is too grand to be called a greenhouse, I wouldn't be surprised if it was called a 'green palace' instead...

Before us was a straightforward path towards a gilded gazebo. From this distance, we could make out the figures of the boys sitting around a round table whilst enjoying some tea. It was a perfect scene for an otome game CG scene. Judging from Haizea's spellbound gaze and slightly dropped jaw, I could tell that she could also see the typical anime special effect flowers blooming in the background and the atmospheric music that would often come with this kind of sight.

Omigawd, do we really have to make our way to that?

The moment I heard the doors behind us shut I steeled myself before Cain could begin to question us and proceeded to drag Haizea along with me. I could sense my friend's cold sweat and sent her a questioning gaze.

"My brother is assigned as his highness' companion alongside Dmitri. I was not introduced to his highness and Dmitri until just before you came in the hall the first time you arrived." She whispered anxiously.

Not caring whether or not Cain heard me, I whispered back. "And how exactly did you manage to conduct yourself properly? Look at yourself, you look like you're about to see your executioner."

"With great difficulty..." Haizea muttered.

"Ah, Miss Velloa and Miss Haizea. Nice of you to finally join us." Prince Kai stood up at the sight of us and greeted us.

Shooting one last exasperated look at Haizea, I finally let go of her arm so that we could curtsy towards Prince Kai.

"We thank you for allowing us to join you, your highness." I greeted back.

Grasping one palm on each hand, Prince Kai pulled the both of us up from our curtsy. "Just Kai will do fine."

With a wry smile, I lightly teased. "That won't do, your highness. I shall settle with calling you Prince Kai instead."