FOURTEEN

We walked fast and carefully followed a dirt road that lead us into a concrete clearing.I looked beside me in the distance to see slopes and grey mountains, the ground still smelling of fresh rain and grass. No dead could be seen, only emptiness and an occasional bunker.

At the distant I could see it, the blocks of the machine were huge, it had a million of small knobs and what not to generate a constant flow of electricity to the 115 based dumpers and pumps.
We all decided to keep Hans at the facility, he was unable to move because of the injuries, before I left he kept staring at me for some unknown reason and I had to literally tear my gaze away from him.... His brothers in arms, were losing hope, conversing mostly in German but the tone left no room for doubt. One of them cried as someone gave him news of his little daughter's death, his home city was swiped clean...I saw him cradling an old photograph and tears freely flowed, he didn't let them stop. I wanted to give him a hug and just assure him that...that...

A sinking feeling clasped my heart.

It was a weird feeling...All these characters had loved ones, memories, wishes and dreams... The Captain (I call him Captain out of respect and also because I had no idea how to pronounce his name)was a fatherly figure to me, even if we were complete strangers, he had those tender eyes of a mentor. He was a tall man, with wavy blonde hair which was dirty and dishevaled, a strong bridge of his nose, full lips and firm and solid frame under his straps and heavy clothing.

Two of The Germans were nowhere to be seen as they scouted the field for survivors and Tank's heavy steps echoed behind me.The Doctor in front of me... Tank's brows furrowed, livid.

"Anya, what's going on? What's the plan?" He looked at Richtofen and then at me desperately, it pained me to keep quite but I strengthened up the will to not look at his face. I didn't care.I wanted to tell him everything, how it's not his fault, that he will suffer forever...My fist balled up and my nails dug deep into my flesh, the drowning feeling of guilt eating me away.'The plan? Is nothing...'

I kept a close eye on the Doctor who seemed just as confused as Tank but neither one had the guts to follow one other, they despised each other so much that it was almost annoying. It's alarming how mellowed their differences became once everyone knew how strange the situation has become. The clouds were harbouring lightning in its chest, the rumbling of angry souls wailed as all of us walked into the laboratory. The mouth of the facility was wide open and a few orange lights illuminated the throat of the room, it smelled of old clothes and it was surprisingly dusty.

In the distance I heard comotion,it caught my attention immediately but I had questions to ask. I felt caught in the moment.

"Doc, I have to ask you something..." His tall form turned at my tiny voice, sharp eyes already contemplating and predicting my next move.

"Ja?" He crosses his arms and stood in a defensive aura. I scooted closer to him and whispered almost awkwardly,

"Where is the mainframe? I mean, you know, screens and stuff..." His eyes squinted suspiciously, he slowly looked away though he was unable to concentrate on me as Tank suddenly shouted at the top of his lungs—

"DOCTOR? RICHTOFEN?!" The Doctor turned swiftly and I saw Nikolai walking fast towards us, his featured twisted in attention.

"Doctor, you have to see this." Nikolai's gruff voice had a layer of concern that changed the color of everyone's mood. The Doctor and I unconsciously followed Nikolai, I knew that Tank was there somewhere.As we came closer to the granary, which was constructed almost entirely out of wood, a tiny passage led us to a secret room, more like a stable for horses. Dry husk and fodder lay around scattered in it and it was incredibly dark. I could though hear tiny gasps and shuffling noises.

"What the..." Tank's gruff voice partially vanished into thin air.

Takeo appeared behind us out of nowhere, supporting a large lamp, the one used at train tracts at night. We let him walk to us and soon a warm yellow hue masked the room, revealing a stranded group of women and little children.

'Oh my god...'

Little faces and bodies, covered with mud and adorned with old-fashioned dresses huddled in a corner behind their mothers...The women had petrified expressions, their frail bodies ready for a new batch of violence. They looked traumatized, a few had teary eyes glistening in the dark, trembling lips tired of sobbing. About four of them were of my age yet they seemed younger than me solely because of their innocence, aloof of any ulterier motifs or awareness. I wondered for how long they waited in pain and with undying patience and hope.

I didn't expected this to happen, the rabbit hole was denying to end and I was slipping deper into it. A ride of a lifetime...

"Bitte..." said the oldest one of them, she had a face of resolution, she might have been in her sixties and her grey hair was packed under a scarf. She protectively kept the young women under her wings.. For a second her gaze met with mine, I stared back. She looked at me in confusion, unable to imagine my possition amoung the men. I know, I was surpised too and I realized how incredibly lucky I was to be among such gentlemen. God knows what wouldve happened if I was among men with expoitative tendencies...Countless scenarios surfaced, rape, molestation...

Nikolai was quick at reaching them, assuring them in broken German. Richtofen had a soft air about him, his mind was busy at assessing the situation. The disclosure of his softer side shocked me but I tried not to soften myself to him, I couldn't trust that man for some reasons.

The women stared eye-to-eye at me, scrutinized me from head to toe and took feeble steps of trust to let their guards down at the sight of another lady. I could understand their difficulties to a miniscule point, they had endured so much more than I can fathom.

They were scared yet a spark of curiosity glistened in their eyes as one of them awkwardly bumped into Tank and blushed immensely, her slender fingers planted onto his chest for support. She looked up at him, she searched for his eyes which were busy looking intently at me, suddenly his attention was taken away by her as she whimpered noticeably and I caught the sight of dark maroon smeared on her pristine white ankles. Pain was floating in her eyes but still her eyes shyly yet purposefully searched for Tank's.

I felt confused and awkward as Tank didn't seem to care about the lady at all; he gently pushed her aside and stood near me. At this the lady coldly stared at me, she was no more in that pitiful stance but stood there confidently. I looked away, feeling like an obstacle between both of them. My self-esteem crashed to the depths of hell as I realized how beautiful she was.

'I'm like a potato with glasses compared to her.' I wondered, feeling hurt.

"Takeo, bring zhem outside, ve have to move, now." The Doctor and Tank was quick to open the gates of the stable and so we walked away with some new faces and confused hearts...