[9] "I Honestly Forgot"

I'VE BEEN in a piss-ass mood ever since I saw Archer in the Michaels' house. I originally wanted to go over there and talk with Raven about...well about everything, but Archer really just had to be there. And I'm definitely asking Raven about why the hell he was there when we meet up for coffee later today. We've been good friends for a while, but she doesn't realize I'm ready for something more. She's so shy and reserved that she doesn't see it, but I see her and I want her. I've always seen her, not just after she got skinny and thinned out.

But now I don't know if Archer beat me to it. Things have been strained between us for a while, and Raven thinks it's some egotistical nonsense, but she doesn't realize he sends signals to other guys that's for sure. Signals that point out that he has possessive tendencies over Raven. Archer probably doesn't even know what he wants and that's what I'm banking on to get a fair shot for myself. I'm honestly not sure what to think after this morning though, because even though the facts don't line up, what I saw wasn't exactly the most convincing. I mean, the guy didn't have a shirt on and Raven looked awfully flustered. I just don't believe my best friend would do something like that—or anything for that matter, with a guy who terrifies her. I'm not scared in the slightest of Archer Cross, but I know Raven is, so I just can't see her warmly inviting him in without Leila present.

     Unless something else has been going on without my knowing.

"Fucking hell!" I say, slamming a hand onto my steering wheel.

I'm supposed to be meeting Raven at a Starbucks in an hour or so, but I don't know if I should say what I meant to say anymore. We've always been good friends and I don't wanna throw that all away. Raven doesn't need another guy trying to mess up her life like Archer clearly has. Hearing that he actually broke up with Leila was a shocker. I knew they were on shaky waters as it is from Raven's information, but that still caught me a bit by surprise.

Raven's got enough on her plate right now with it being the first week of school and Leila drama. I'll just tell her sometime else, I decide. Then again, a part of me doesn't know if I'm pushing it off for my own benefit, or for hers...maybe both.

I pull in to my driveway, feeling a little better after just taking a drive around. I bypass my parents and older brother in the living room to head to my own bedroom. I'm not exactly in the mood to talk and I think they realize that. Dustin, my brother, is the only one who'd bother me. My parents don't really care what I do as long as I stay on top of football and my grades are up. I toss my keys on my desk and take a seat on my bed, head in hands.

Football pictures and memorabilia are scattered around the room. I've been playing for a while and have even gotten college recruitment offers. Being the quarterback gets some publicity I guess. I've been holding off choosing a college, but Penn State would be nice. Plus it's not too far away from where I'm at now and it'd be nice to stay somewhat close to home and friends. Thinking of colleges makes me wonder where Raven's going...we don't talk much about college and what the future holds, but it'd be nice to know.

I'm sure she'll go somewhere prestigious because of her grades and smarts. I think she's taking all AP classes for senior year with a close to 4.0 gpa.

"Grant? Didn't know you were home," my brother says, walking into my room.

"Hey Dustin. Just slipped by," I shrug.

"Alright...well how'd it go?" he asks.

What the hell is he on? He can't know about what I was going to tell Raven, can he? I didn't even say anything to...anyone!

"How'd what go?" I ask, feigning ignorance.

"C'mon, little brother, you thought you could hide that from me? I know about you and Raven," he says, an eyebrow raised.