23

"I would also like to thank William for all of his help none of this would have been done without him," My mother began to clap and the hundred people that littered my backyard glanced at William who was standing a few people behind me. He gave a charming smile and nodded at my mother. He glanced at me and finally caught my eye and his lips curled into a smirk. I could feel him taking sneaky glances all day and I stubbornly avoided them just to provide entertainment during this boring party. When my mother's speech was over I swiftly hurried to the table that held all the catered food. I hope William lost me in the crowd, but I soon felt a warm presence much to close to me. 

"I don't care for your silly games, little girl," He whispered in my ear as he reached down and grabbed a glass of water. I looked up from my plate that I was loading with different types of food. I smiled innocently at him.

"I don't know what you're talking about, sir,"I said with false confusion. His eyes narrowed, but I could tell he enjoyed the chase. I could see the amusement behind his eyes. 

"Keep it up and I'll take that ass up to your room and make things more clear" He threatened and I turned so I was facing him. 

"Is that a promise?" 

His jaw dropped and a little chuckle left his lips, "Naughty girl," He said his words laced with amusement and I turned around and walked off, but I knew he was on my tail. I walked through the people as I munched on the finger food on my plate and I found a table no one was sitting at under one of the trees. 

I planted myself down and William sat down next to me. I ate as I watched the party go one before me. "Have I told you how beautiful you look in that dress?" He asked and my eyes widened and I quickly swallowed my food and looked at him. His eyes were trailing up my body, examining every piece of skin the fabric of my green sundress clung onto. My heart did a flip and my cheeks redded at his words. 

"Thank you," I said shyly as I looked down at my plate. 

"why so red?" He teased and I shook my head and looked away from him so he couldn't see how much his compliment effected me. 

"You've never called me that before," I said and his hand on my thigh pulled me to look back at him. He was smiling at me and his eyes searched my face for nothing in particular. 

"Well I'll keep reminding you then," He said and his charm made my blush deepen. This man."I-"

His words were stopped when a voice interrupted him. "William Arteaga," a sinister voice said that made chills roll down my body. As fast as lightning William's had dropped from my thigh and his face paled. I'd never seen him look so...scared?

Both of us looked over to see two men both dressed in all black. They stood out against the pastel colors of the other guest's clothes. They were hard-looking men, covered in tattoos. Their faces looked aged and like they'd seen too much in their lifetime. They were evil looking men that made me shift nervously in my seat. 

I glanced back I William to see him sitting up straighter and I noticed his hand fidgeting under the table while the other slowly, but instinctively latched onto the silver butter knife on the table. I watched his Adam's apple bob as he stared the men down. 

"Vito...Dominic," He said slowly and his words were strong but they didn't match his nervous body language.

"Been a while," The one William called Dominic said as the two took a seat at our table. They didn't look at me once, they just maintained their deadly glares at William. 

"You're not an easy man to find," Vito added and  William gave a shaky chuckle to try and lighten the tension but the men did budge. 

"Well, you found me," He said stated and then both nodded slowly as a creepy smirk filled their faces.