08. Diamonds and Gold.

Esther stirs from her sleep. The walls of her skull ache. 'What happened? Did I panic again?'  Unaware of her surroundings, she sits up from the cot. Everything appears blurry. She tries to focus and finds herself in the same shed she entered upon coming inside. She stands up, but her legs almost give way. She holds onto a post to regain posture. She hears  Newt's and Jacob's voices. She follows them.

"I won't remember any of this?" She hears Jacob.

  She stumbles out of the shed closing in on the men.

"Don't you worry. I'll make sure they won't lay a finger on you." Esther groans, walking up to them from behind.

  They turn to look at her with surprised faces.

  "Are you alright? What happened back there?" Jacob jumps with questions. He's seen similar reactions from the time he was part of the war.

  Her eyes veered to the left, "Sometimes my emotions get the best of me.."

  Newts eyes fixate on her, staring blankly.  He's unsure how to feel about her after her reaction. It was solely an emotional response, but she could have endangered everyone. Suddenly her eyes meet his. He looks down.

  "I'm sorry... I was irresponsible in my actions and could have really hurt any of your creatures. I should go. I don't want to hurt anyone." Her apology is sincere.

  "No, don't go. " he blurts out. 'Why did I say that?' His body stiffens, unsure what to say to back it up. "We'll be going to Central Park to find my Erumphent. This may be a three-person job." He looks at the no-maj.

  Jacob hesitates, "All right. Yeah. I'll help you."

  "Are you well enough to join us?" the wizard asks the which.

She nods, starting to regain her balance.

"Come on then." The wizard says picking up the bucket to put away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*--------

  The stars twinkle above them as they make their way through the vacant Diamond district to Central Park. Hence the name, fine jewelry stores line down the strip.  While making way, Newt scans the shops for any movements.

  "I was watching you at dinner." Newt strikes a conversation.

  "Me?" Esther asks.

  Newt turns his head to Jacob. If he was thinking of her, he couldn't possibly tell her that. Esther blushes

  "Oh, yeah? How come?" Jacob replies assuming Newt is speaking to him.

  "People seem to like you, don't they, Mr.Kowalski?"

  He's startled by the assumption, "Oh- well, I'm- I'm sure people like you too- huh?"

  "No, not really. I annoy people."

  "I wouldn't call your unasked for knowledge of creatures annoying, but endearing." Esther quips.

  Jacob lets out a hearty laugh while Newt stops in his tracks to look behind him.

  "That- That's precisely what I was mentioning." He retorts.

  She smiles, pulling hair behind her ear.

  A beat.

  "Do you really find it endearing?" He asks, hunching his shoulders uncomfortably. So many people have complained about it, it's difficult to imagine someone liking it.

  "Well, I-" she stops when she notices Newt's attention has shifted to Jacob.

  He avoids any further embarrassment so he shows quite an interest in the muggle instead.