the face of an angel

When I was 13 half of my class was off school with the flu, I used to think that they should just suck it up and get to school because six hours wouldn't kill you.

I'd never had the flu before.

Two days later when I woke up with it I changed my opinion.

I'd missed a week of school so far and in all honesty I knew I was well enough to go again but I liked the attention my dad gave me, he even took time off work to take care of me. On the Monday morning it was decided for me that I had to go back to school.

When my dad woke me up I told him my head hurt and I thought we should stay on the safe side by letting me sleep it off. He smiled and told me to forget about it.

My feet hit the stairs harder than necessary on my way down, dressed and reluctant to attend the prison.

It was only when we drove in the opposite direction to school that he told me we were going Christmas shopping instead but I had to promise not to tell my mom and I had to go to school the next day, no buts. Having the flu for a week made it worth it.

We saw 5 different 'Santa's' in town that day. One of them couldn't have weighed more than 140 lbs.

I bought some fake snow that day and sprayed it on the kitchen window as a tester. It didn't say on the can that it would take three months to disappear.

It's not too long before Christmas arrives again, I wonder what Jennie is doing, part of me hopes she isn't leaving for the holidays.

"Why are we here?"

I look to the brunette walking next to me, her teeth chattering. "You'll see."

We're on our way to a river, I like sitting on the bridge above it when the current is moving in the opposite direction. It's nice in the winter but it's beautiful in the summer.

"You're vague, you know that?"

"I do."

The trees surrounding us don't make me feel claustrophobic.

I'd never say it out loud but Jennie looks cute wearing that hat.

"You're walking too slow, hurry up," I tell her, half joking.

Jennie smirks, "You're lucky I can't see you or I'd...shoulder check you or something."

"My dead body is shaking."

The smile attached to her lips falls and a tension suddenly hangs over us.

"Take the next left," I say quietly.

I walk behind her letting her see the view first, I've seen it countless times. Her impressed expression is enough for me, I have my own opinions but I wanted her to like it here, having grown up here it means a lot to me, even if it doesn't to other people.

"Wow," leaves her lips.

"Yeah" I concur, moving around her to sit down. "Sit down."

She looks around, "Where are you? I don't want to sit on you or anything."

"You won't."

She breathes out a "'Kay" and sits down next to me, her gloved fingers resting on the splintered wood in front of her, her legs dangling over the edge.

I watch as she swings her legs back and forth, looking down to the water.

"Jennie?"

It's a while before I hear, "What?"

"Why don't you ask me questions?"

"Because I don't want to," she replies quietly, still looking into the water.