31. Possibility of Us

"HUNTER!"

"HUNTER!"

"Matt? Why do you sound like you just ran a marathon?"

"That's because I ran from my work place! Valentina!"

"What? What's wrong? Did something happen?"

"Her eye...sight..."

"Damnit Matt! Tell me what's wrong!"

"She called me saying that was having one of her blind episodes again. Usually it returns back to normal after several minutes but it's been over an hour and her eyesight hasn't changed!"

Hunter's heart stopped. Seeing his distress, Josh nodded at him from behind the counter. "Go, I'll take it from here." 

He didn't waste anymore time as he threw his apron in the back room and raced out the door. All he could think about was Valentina. His heart pounded in fear as he got into his car. "Matt? Are you still there?" 

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm here." 

"Where is she?"

"She's at the vision center on Jackson street."

Bidding him goodbye, Hunter floored it as he drove towards the building. It didn't take him long to find the the center since there was a huge pair of glasses hung up next to the large sign. Not caring that he parked in between two spaces, Hunter ran into the building. The receptionist looked up, startled at the bang of the door. 

"Valentina. Is she okay? Where is she? Can I see her?" He rushed out in panic. 

She eyed him in apprehension. "Last name?" 

"Caverly. She's short, well shorter than me. Brown hair, brown eyes?" 

The receptionist gave him a look. "You just described probably about eighty percent of the world's population." 

Damnit. Why the fuck is she being so difficult? "Can you just tell me where the fuck she is?"

"She's seeing Doctor Martin right now in room 42." Without another word, Hunter ran down the hall, searching for the room. It didn't take him long and he barged into the room, eyes taking in Valentina's tear streaked face. 

Hearing the door bang open, Valentina looked up in that direction. "Tater Tot!" Hunter's voice had her standing up on her feet in a flash and rushing towards him. Warm arms engulfed her and pulled her towards a strong sturdy body. She buried her face into his chest, breathing in his familiar scent. 

Matt looked away awkwardly but couldn't help the smile that took over his face. No matter how much he didn't like his baby sister dating until she's forty, the sight of his best friend's little brother hugging her like she's his lifeline made him grin. 

"Is she going to be okay?" Matt asked Doctor Martin who was watching the pair with raised eyebrows. He turned towards him and sighed. The look on his face made his hope dwindle. 

He pulled up several pictures onto the computer screen and showed it to them. Hunter and Matt raised an eyebrow at the images, having no idea what they were supposed to be  pictures of. Valentina stayed curled up beside Hunter on the chair, face buried into the side of his arm. Hunter wrapped an arm around her, slowly combing his fingers through her soft hair. 

"This is her retina before she was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa." Doctor Martin pointed to a slightly red, pink picture. Several red lines which they assume are veins ran along the edges. "This is the one I just took today." He pointed to the second picture where the redness was dimmer, almost a dull light brown. The red veins were very faint, almost blending into the brown. 

"Is it getting better?" Valentina's small voice spoke out. Doctor Martin looked at her, sympathy swimming in his expression. 

"I'm afraid not, Valentina." He said and she looked down, not letting the others see her crushed expression. 

"There's no saying how bad it will get but I can prescribe you a pair of sunglasses made specifically for those who have Retinitis Prigmentosa. It will help protect your remaining vision."

Matt nodded, "Alright." 

They left the vision center, with Valentina in Hunter's arms. Matt eyed them, "She can walk you know." 

"Yeah, well, I want to carry her."

Matt rolled his eyes at his touchiness. "Valentina, do you want Hunter or me to take you back home?" 

She shrugged. She couldn't bring herself to talk. It wasn't everyday that you get the great news that you'll become blind, well partial blind, for the rest of your life. How would she get around? How would she read and write? Would Hunter still be willing to stay with her? Would he be willing to have a blind girlfriend? 

As if knowing the thoughts that were troubling her, a kiss was placed on her forehead. "I'm not going anywhere. I don't care whether you go blind or ugly or hell even bald. I don't want anyone else."

Valentina smiled as she felt herself being placed in the passenger seat. "Thank you."

"For what? I'm just speaking the truth."

"Thank you for staying." Hunter took a hold of her hand and she gripped it in hers as he pulled the car out of the parking lot. "I thought you weren't going to stay. Thought we would be impossible."

Hunter brought her hand up and kissed her knuckles, making her flush. "Well we are going to be possible. I'll make sure of it."

THE END

*****

THERE WILL BE AN EPILOGUE AND AN EXTRA CHAPTER, DONT FRET. 

But a huge thank you for all of you who had stayed and read the book, it means a lot <3. I actually didn't think I would get this many reads and it's all thanks to you guys! I love you all!