Chapter 72

Chapter Seventy Two

The shower felt like heaven, but the blood flowing down the drain looked more like hell. 

It ran down my legs and broke away from my skin, dissolving under the hot caress of the water spraying on and across my body. My lower torso ached like crazy... it genuinely hurt to move. 

Forget walking funny, I'd barely been able to stand when Sebastian had finally woken me up from my nap around eleven at night. When we'd headed into the bathroom together, he'd had to help me since my legs hadn't worked properly.

Now I was experiencing pure bliss. 

I had never been more grateful for a shower in my life.

He was being super careful with me, contrary to all his comments about him not being kind, or gentle, or compassionate. I stood under the liquid heat, running my hands through my long hair and waiting until it was completely doused to gently work some shampoo into the strands.

The bathroom was very steamy and did well to warm my skin, but Sebastian's hands did a far better job of making me shiver. My toes curled as he ghosted his palm across my belly, slickly gliding them higher across my chest, and then lower, using a soapy rag to wash me clean. 

I could feel how turned on he was but he was reigning himself in and I appreciated that far more than I wanted to admit, despite being fairly turned on myself. 

Words simply cannot explain the emotions that were running through me as I stood there, washing my hair with his massive body resting hot against my back, his hands treating my skin as if it were made of glass, or something fragile that would break if he got too rough.

The silence between us was punctuated by the hiss of the water. Words didn't need to be spoken for him to know what I was feeling about all of this.

I was happy. 

It was such a simple and common emotion for most people... but me? Never. I hadn't been happy, or felt true joy, or felt delight, or even such honest, open contentment in so many years that I'd literally forgotten how wonderful of an experience such positive emotions could be.

I'd gotten so used to being sad, depressed, and lonely that being happy had sent me into an almost dreamlike daze... I think the word I'm looking for is euphoric. I was euphoric, running on an emotional high that I hoped would never fade. Finally breaking down the walls between us had been like taking a drug for me and my broken emotions.

I tilted my head when his fingers brushed against my neck and gently prodded down across my shoulder, kneading and massaging in a way that almost made me melt. I almost let out a groan but I stifled it in favor of rinsing my hair free of the shampoo and moving onto the conditioner.

"Your hair is well-maintained," he suddenly muttered, and I paused to turn my head with a smile touching my lips; I didn't open my eyes for fear of soap getting into them. "Growing it out this long and keeping it the same length takes effort and dedication. You don't even have split ends."

"Thanks, but it actually took years and years to get it how I wanted it," I admitted. "I still have to maintain it like crazy, too, it's a lot of work."

"Is it worth it?"

"Well, yeah," I said, surprised. "I mean, having super long hair makes me feel good."

He was silent for a few seconds. All I heard was the water pattering on the shower floor.

"You wear it well," he eventually said; I swallowed when his big hands suddenly came to rest on my hips and held me still. His wet body pressed against me from behind and I shivered before sinking into his skin. I could feel every inch of him, from the brush of his body hair, to the heat of his muscled abs, to his happy banana which loved to poke me constantly.