8. BUTTERED quite good.

Harieth

"Well, I think that went great so I'll take my leave now," I announced as soon as we stepped out from the room the meeting had just taken place.

Lucas nodded in accordance whilst my husband-be-be made no reaction.

"You did good today Harieth." Lucas praised and the sound of it all brought a smile to my face. He was nice. Why on earth was he described as cold on the internet? Hmm, the media these days just write anything to get attention.

"Thank you, Lucas. That's nice coming from you." I appreciated truthfully and watched as he gave a slight nod before turning to Christian.

"You should take her home." He proposed and Christian's brows slightly raised.

"What?" He questioned and the smile on my face slowly fades.

"Oh no." I interrupted as I lightly tap Lucas on the arm so he could turn back to me and they both did.

"It's okay. I came with my car so there's no need for him to do that. I just have to be present on the wedding day and that's all. His um... well, I don't really need anything else from him so... I'll take my leave now." I blabbed half of what was fully on my mind. I really didn't want to be forcefully close to Christian or something of that sort, especially after last night. I just... distance is best.

Lucas nodded once more in accordance and looking at him just brought a simple smile to my face. He was also so understanding. Why am I get married to Christian instead of Lucas? He seems to be the total package any woman would want. If only... if only he wasn't married.

"Good day." He stated and I nod in accordance while smiling shyly like a fool.

"Good day." I managed to reply as well whilst I watch him walk away. We just can't have it all in this life, can we?

"You didn't have to talk so much in there. You could have made it all worse." The voice of my most hated enemy for the moment pushes me back to reality and slowly, the smile on my face fades so I'm forced to shift my eyes to my dear husband-to-be.

"But I didn't, right?" I question right away in irritation before looking away and back to the direction Lucas had headed out in. Damn it. He was gone.

"Before you leave, make sure you have your email address noted down by my assistant. You'll receive a brief of our schedule and information from time to time."

"Schedule?" I questioned as I turn to him but he was already well on his way without even letting me know he was leaving.

A tiresome sigh escapes my lips as I stare at him walk away. What's the use of marrying a pretty husband that treats me like shit? Seriously, I'm Harieth Gryffin. I shouldn't be going through all this. I shake my head in regret before turning away and heading towards the elevator.

Just like that, time began ticking. Seconds turned to minutes, minutes too long excruciating hours and hours to exhausting days. Days that I had to deal with Christian's attitude. Nothing I did ever seems to please him. It felt like on purpose, he found faults in me. I went wedding shopping without my groom. I hired a great wedding planner for my choice and made sure everything went my way. I attended events alongside him and even wore a pretty smile while I answered their questions and pretended to be in love. It was stressful but my dear fiancé always found a way to spoil my mood at the end of it all.

In the end, a day was left to the big day and a simple family dinner was going to take place. For the first time since we got engaged, I was going to see all his family members in one place. As I stare at my reflection that evening in my room, I could feel nervousness slowly slipping in.