Chapter 2: Conversation

Seonghwa ripped off the white paper of his straw and stuck it in his pink colored drink. The sourness of the strawberry lemonade made his jaw hurt as he took a sip. He exited the cafe, dropping the wrapper in the trash on the way out. Sitting down at one of the outdoor patio tables, he pulled his phone out, checking for new messages. He sighed and set his phone face down on the glass. The bright sunlight reflected off the surface of the glass and made little lines of light on the table where the sunlight flowed through the ice of his drink.

He stared out in the distance at a group of trees that grew at a nearby park. There were small kids running around, chasing each other with their arms out on their sides like airplanes. He took a deep breath and leaned his head back on the chair, shielding his eyes from the sun with his hand. Fluffy white clouds dotted the early Saturday morning sky. A gentle breeze ran its invisible fingers through his soft black hair.

Seonghwa sat up when he heard his phone chime. It was Hyejin.

Where are you? The message read.

Starbucks.

Have you seen my staff card? I can't find it.

Did you check your purse and your work bag?

Yes. It's not there.

You probably left it in your office. You want me to go see?

No. I'll see when I go back next week. I probably left it on my desk.

You sure? I can go. I'm near the hospital.

It's ok, I don't need it right now.

Ok.

Seonghwa sighed and stretched his legs. Suddenly, his phone rang.

"Yeah?" He said, smiling when he heard Hyejin's voice.

"I'm bored," she replied. "I thought taking time off would help, but it's driving me crazy. Do you have off today?"

"I go in at four, but I'm free now. You want me to come over? We can do something." he said, switching his phone to his other ear.

"Sure," she replied.

"I'll be there in like, fifteen minutes." He hung up and stood, walking to his car.

He arrived at her house a bit later than he wanted. He turned the car off and pulled his key out of the ignition. Smoothing out his shirt, he knocked on the door. She answered right away, pulling the door open and letting him in.

"How have you been?" he asked. It was the first time he got to see her since the incident at the hospital which was nearly a week.

"Good...bored mostly, but I've been okay." He nodded and stuck his hands in his pockets. She motioned for him to sit down, which he did.

"Did you want something to drink?" she asked, heading for the kitchen.

"No thank you, I have a drink in my car." She nodded and pulled a water bottle out of the fridge. Untwisting the cap, she took a sip and walked into the living room.

"What do you want to do?" He asked.

She shrugged, "I don't know. Take a walk or something? Anything to get me out of this house." He laughed. She smiled and sat down next to him.

"Sure." He answered, resting his head on his hand and his elbow on the back of the couch. He smiled and stared at her. She smiled shyly.

Before the silence got too awkward, Hyejin stood up and spoke. "Come on," she said, grabbing his hand and pulling him up. They left the house together, walking slowly as they breathed in the nice summer air.