Chapter 9:This way of thinking had supported GHJ for a full 20 years.

Not long afterwards, it became the Winter Solstice of Wànshùn Year 31. Lin Si Ze allowed Gu Hong Jian to accompany him to head to Ying Xi Palace.

After Gu Hong Jian heard the statement akin to thunderous lightning, she asked, "Me? Why?"

Lin Si Ze replied, "You are my personal maid."

"Aren't I a miscellaneous palace maid from Bai Fu Palace?!" For the first time, Gu Hong Jian became aware that she was unexpectedly the fifth prince's personal maid.

Lin Si Ze said, "You are the only one out of the entire Bai Fu Palace who would show their face."

Gu Hong Jian couldn't refute him. "..."

Gu Hong Jian had a bitter expression as she watched Lin Si Ze choose a set of slightly proper clothing and a black cloak. She was also fortunate to be given something from Lin Si Ze for the first time——a light green cloak.

In fact, it was previously Lin Si Ze's, but it was now a bit small so he gave it to her.

Even though Lin Si Ze was relatively short in supplies, every year at New Year's, things would still be sent down. Even if an unknown amount was shortchanged, this type of first-rate cold resistance cloak was generally not shortchanged much. After all, it would be hard to explain if a prince froze to death in the palace.

Gu Hong Jian withdrew her hands and feet and followed Lin Si Ze to Ying Xi Palace with trembling movements. Because Bai Fu Palace was so remote, there was no one on the road. When they almost reached Ying Xi Palace, figures gradually appeared.

It seemed as if they had merely walked two steps, yet they suddenly went from an extremely cold land of isolation to a noisy building. Gu Hong Jian was accustomed to waiting in the cold and cheerless corner as a small maid, so she naturally became extremely nervous at once. She couldn't help but covertly glance at Lin Si. Seeing the tranquil expression on Lin Si Ze's face involuntarily made her relax a bit.

It was as warm as spring inside Ying Xi Palace. Richly ornamented with gold and jade in glorious splendor, it was the first time Gu Hong Jian had come to such a place. She and Lin Si Ze, however, stayed in the corner.

This was also the first time Gu Hong Jian saw the legendary emperor.

His age was not small anymore, the look in his eyes blurry yet still possessing an indescribable power that deters others. Gu Hong Jian secretly raised her head for a glance before hurriedly lowering her head. That emperor, aloof and remote, had a benevolent father, filial son appearance as he inquired about a few of the princes' lessons. Nevertheless, he skipped over Lin Si Ze as if he did not exist.

Lin Si Ze had probably become accustomed to this long ago as he kept his head lowered, eating silently.

Gu Hong Jian watched his actions, feeling very sad. Lin Si Ze quietly asked, "Where is the box I had you take earlier?"

Gu Hong Jian very carefully gave it to him.

Lin Si Ze packed a lot of food inside.

Gu Hong Jian: "..."

Lin Si Ze said, "Your reward——return to Bai Fu Palace to eat it."

Gu Hong Jian: "..."

She looked at the other nobles, each and every one dressed excellently. She was the youngest amongst the servants, and the most unpresentable one as well. Even the nobles gave rewards, stealthily setting aside food from the dining table.

However, Gu Hong Jian thought, even if others took a fancy to me, I won't abandon Lin Si Ze because this guy really is too pitiful, pitiful to the point he had to split his own meagre things with someone else.